play biting or mouthing

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jamesthefirst

play biting or mouthing

Post by jamesthefirst »

have a 8 month old huskey malamute mix. i knows he is not trying to hurt us but it is very difficult to pet him at times without him wanting to pu our hands, arms or feet in his mouth. we have tried just about evry method we know but he just doesn't seem to get it. i would rather not resort to a muzzle.
Ari_RR

Re: play biting or mouthing

Post by Ari_RR »

Hi there
Best would be to post this under "Dog Training Advice" - that's a more active part of the forum.
That said - what methods have you tried that did not work?
jamesthefirst

Post by jamesthefirst »

ignoring, turning our back to him, poping lightly under the chin,putting down in submissive position.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

HI and welcome to the forum! :D
--dontpugme
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

jamesthefirst wrote:ignoring, turning our back to him, poping lightly under the chin,putting down in submissive position.
Turning your back to him is a decent approach. The point of this should be - if he puts your body part in his mouth, interactions stop. Totally. No "bad boy", no eye contact, you get up, turn around, freeze.
Next level up - a time out, where you actually leave the room for 10-15-20 seconds, this works well for correcting "jumping on humans" behavior.
But you have to be consistent in your turning your back on him, and this has to send the right message: human hand in mouth = boring, play stops, fun stops. Every time. So all family members should be doing this. It will eventually sink in and work.

Some folks say that loud "Ouch!!!", as if your whole arm was bitten off, works well.. I don't know, you may give it a try... Yelp as if you are in a horrific pain, then turn back to him and freeze.

Putting him down is submissive position may cause fear, I would not advise this. This is an unpleasant and scary thing to do to a dog. While it may associate mouthing with an unpleasant and scary thing done to him, it is also very likely to associate you with something scary. You don't want your dog to fear you, you want him to love and trust you. So, don't do this to him... Stick to turning your back