Hi from Manchester !

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jennymarie

Hi from Manchester !

Post by jennymarie »

Hello all!

My name is Jenny and I am a first time dog owner from Manchester, UK. I recently adopted a Romanian rescue pup through a UK based charity; she is a chihuahua terrier cross, approx 4 months old. I did a lot of reading and watching videos around positive reinforcement training before she arrived and things seem to be going well so far :)

She is a clever little pooch who has already figured out how to ask to go out and use the loo, and is learning how to sit. She has a pen with her crate (happy place) inside and we keep her busy with Kongs, chew toys, etc.

I took a few days off work when she arrived and tried to get her into the habit of frequent rest/chew time inbetween playing so she's happy in the pen. It seems to be working so far, with only 10 mins or so of whining the 2nd night.

We start puppy foundation training a week today and I can't wait!

Anyway, glad to be here - I've found the Positively videos so reassuring and helpful, I really want to do the right thing for the little pup!

Looking forward to getting lots of good ideas and advice :)

Jenny.
bendog

Re: Hi from Manchester !

Post by bendog »

Sounds like you are doing great already :)

Check out Kikopup videos on youtube too. So helpful for starting training.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Hi and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new addition! :D
--dontpugme
Siberianthunderga

Post by Siberianthunderga »

Hi Jenny and welcome! :) You are doing all the right things. Your pup is lucky to have found you. As a trainer, it makes me so happy to hear you did your research and reading up on training. It is also impressive how you took time off work to help your new pup settle in. You are already a great pet parent :)

I'm Kim from Georgia in the U.S. I have 5 Siberian Huskies and 1 Pit Bull. All resues we adopted. They are such great dogs. I couldn't imagine life with out them :)
jennymarie

Post by jennymarie »

Thank you all! I will definitely check out the Kikopup videos on YouTube - the more the better! We are determined to do everything properly despite being first timers :)

This forum looks so helpful and supportive, I'm pleased to be here!
jennymarie

Post by jennymarie »

Siberianthunderga wrote:Hi Jenny and welcome! :) You are doing all the right things. Your pup is lucky to have found you. As a trainer, it makes me so happy to hear you did your research and reading up on training. It is also impressive how you took time off work to help your new pup settle in. You are already a great pet parent :)

I'm Kim from Georgia in the U.S. I have 5 Siberian Huskies and 1 Pit Bull. All resues we adopted. They are such great dogs. I couldn't imagine life with out them :)
Thanks Kim - it's so reassuring to have places like this and the videos, etc, to know I am on the right track. 6 dogs sounds like a handful - hard for me to imagine that with one teeny puppy taking up all my time at the moment :D
Siberianthunderga

Post by Siberianthunderga »

Imagine having the 6 big dogs and healing from a car accident...lol. I'm so glad I had them trained before the accident or it would have been a real big challenge the first year after it happened. I love little dogs and think they are so cute and fun to train, but I adore big breeds and bully breeds. I love watching the owners and their large dogs connect during training and learning how how to trust and respect each other. It is so amazing to see :)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forum! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jennymarie

Post by jennymarie »

wvvdiup1 wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum! :D
Thanks! :)