What kind of dog is she?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

TxPepper

What kind of dog is she?

Post by TxPepper »

http://www.dogchannel.com/blog/photovie ... 7152&idx=0

(Sorry about this ^ I couldn't figure out how to upload pictures. That's just kind of like an album thing and it's the only thing I cuold find >.<)

the rescue I got Luna from told me she was a lab x weimaranner, but I'm not so sure. Other people told me she was a purebred field lab, but I don't see it at all. She is very slim and muscular (As I know some labs are but she's even skinnier).
You might not be able to see it, but her muzzle is really long and slim. It actually looks exctly like a german shepherd if you only look at the muzzle (I did this to like a hundred german shepherds, lol). Her coat is one-layer and very soft and shiny, not the natural oily of a purebred. Her tail has a kink in the middle and curves when she lifts it, but that might be from injury. She also has an arched topline (Back legs are longer than front legs). She's 23 inches at the shoulder and 55 lbs

She HATESHATESHATES water and also loathes fetch. She's kind of blah about strangers but she's very tolerant of children. She's also really house-guardy, barking at the slightest sound. She could go on FOREVER. After an hour of sprinting at the dog park she still has enough energy for a long hike. She's also super fast. I was thinking lab/dalmatian (I was looking for dalmatian standards and she's their exact size and shape, has the same fur pattern, and has the same crazy endurance and guarddogness.) What are y'all's opinions?
Labsrule

Re: What kind of dog is she?

Post by Labsrule »

Hi, I have 2 Labs, one is working bred, slim long legged. Your girl is very pretty and looks almost pure Lab although the head is a little long but there is such a variation in the breed and the photos all seem to make her look a bit differnent in each, it is hard to know for sure. Maybe a bit of Weimy/Pointer, certainly can't see any GS in her. Don't assume all Labs are water mad, one of mine is, the other hates it, same with retreives, one is nuts for it, the other not interested. Both mine could walk all day, your girl looks very fit, her grey muzzle is a sign of ageing, maybe you could increase her feed a bit to see if she puts on a bit of flesh, being in the shelter she has probably dropped some weight although she doesn't look thin, just slim. Hope she settles in well and is happy with you. :P
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

I was thinking lab/pointer mix. In one photo I saw maybe weimaranner but I'm sticking with pointer (maybe german shorthair pointer). Actually now that I said German Shorthair pointer, I'm going with that for the main cross. She fits the height, muscle, weight, and energy level of it - plus she has the face I think. The coat texture between a short hair pointer and lab are different, so you may be able to tell from the feel of it to see if she's a lab cross.

Anyway, good luck with the guessing on her breed! :-)
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
GundogGuy

Post by GundogGuy »

Lab x GSP... I'd bet my bottom Dollar on it (even though we use Pounds Sterling :) ).... The clue is in the muzzle shape and how the ears hang...

"Oh what gold there is to find when one is blessed with an open mind" - me, not five minutes ago :-)
TxPepper

Post by TxPepper »

You think she's a pointer? *looks at Luna intently* She does kind of, and sometimes she lifts her paw in a lazy attempt at a point.
@ gundoguy- nice pics. Luna's head is shaped a lot like the black fluffy dog (What kind of dog is that? So cute!)
GundogGuy

Post by GundogGuy »

TxPepper wrote:You think she's a pointer? *looks at Luna intently* She does kind of, and sometimes she lifts her paw in a lazy attempt at a point.
@ gundoguy- nice pics. Luna's head is shaped a lot like the black fluffy dog (What kind of dog is that? So cute!)
:D :D :D The black fluffy dog is a Working Cocker Spaniel :lol:
"Oh what gold there is to find when one is blessed with an open mind" - me, not five minutes ago :-)
TxPepper

Post by TxPepper »

... Oh. She probably doesn't have any spaniel in her :lol:
What about a herding dog? She has the long skinny nose (I'm regretting putting the pic up where her muzzle looks super fat, it's not really like that) She taught herself to catch my cats when they escape. she'll cut them off and paw/nip/bark at them until the stand still and she stalks every dog she sees.

ARG! Forget it! I'm just ging to say she's an "American Whitechin" lol
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

:lol: hehehe.. I think lab x gsp also, but not first x I would more lean towards one parent was a working lab, the other was a gsp x lab..... giving you that mostly lab look with a sliiiiiiiiight variation.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
TxPepper

Post by TxPepper »

GSP's ARE a lot more common in Texas than dalamtians- I see purebreds and mixes all the time. I think I'll just call her that from now on. thank y'all :D
Bo's mum

Post by Bo's mum »

I had a look at the pics before i started reading and my guess was also lab x pointer, she looks lovely :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Either way, you've got yourself a bird dog. :lol: And did you know that in the U.S., working labs are often distinguished into two categories: "pointing" and "flushing." So it would not be at all unusual for your Luna to "point." But you can also teach her to flush on command. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
TxPepper

Post by TxPepper »

I think that's true- there are so many sporting breeds in my city and I've seen maybe 3 dalmatians (Although I didn't get her from my area, I'm guessing it's pretty much the same)

One thing she does that's weird though, is she taught herself to catch my cats when they escape. She rushes up to them and knocks them down and mouths them (She's never hurt them though, just infuriated them lol) until they lie still. Onceshe caught an opposum this way too. She could have killed it but she didn't touch it, catching it and then alerting me. I have no idea if that's some kind of herder or gun dog or hunting dog thing or if she just does it because it's helpful?
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

I was gonna say lab, I'm not good with mixes, but I don't see much in her that doesn't look labish... My dogs have different coats, but are both purebred labs. One is taller and stalkier, the other is a little shorter. One has a softer coat, the other has a more coarse thick coat. One has a tail that will put bruises on your legs and make you think he just put a hole in the wall!!!! The other has a softer tail that doesn't hurt nearly as much! haha My dad's lab has a skinnier face with a longer nose, but still purebred. One of my boys has a bigger nose/face and the other is in between my dad's and my yellow.

There are SOOOO many differences in labs it seems. I would have guessed purebred lab on your girl.... If there is anything else it's not much at all! And again with what someone else mentioned, that there are "pointing labs". I catch one of my boys pointing at times, my other boy won't do it at all.

She certainly is a pretty thing though. :-)
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear