Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

XyberPunk9

Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs

Post by XyberPunk9 »

My 'houla, Shiloh, is a rescue that we came across while visiting an animal shelter. She was just so beautiful and sweet. We were not intending on leaving the shelter with a dog that day, but something about this little girl told me she needed my help.

Within 12 hours of ber being home, we learned that Shiloh was deaf. That is when I started learrning about Double Merle and the white splashes in her coat.

We were told that she was an Australian Shepherd mix.. WRONG.. After looking into some breeds and talking to several other people who suggested she may be otherwise, I got in contact with 6 breeders.. the 4 which contacted me back after viewing the photos I had taken feel that she is full blooded Catahoula. (And if she isn't she must be at least half, with Catahoula being the dominant gene)

The only thing this shelter told me that was right about this dog was that she was dumped in the shelter at 2 months old and she had been there for nearly 4 months before we came long. So this little girl has had nearly NO socialization.

Being from Louisiana, The Catahoula is our State Dog (So I fell very EXTRA special to have found her)

But I've never owned a Catahoula before (Or a deaf dog for that matter) So here are my questions and concerns about her breed if anyone can shed some light for me.

For the most part I know that 'houlas are herding, hunting, and working dogs. But is it normal that a Catahoula tries to 'herd' her people? When we go for walks, she will walk infront of us. Not like, she takes the lead ahead and there's not slack on the leash, bbut she will walk stightly INFRONT of me as tho to keep me from going any further. Is this a Catahoula thing or a deaf dog thing?

I also notice she is my velcro dog. Any where I go, she is right beside me. I've been told that this is something all deaf dogs do. because she cannot hear where I am, she tries to keep me in her sights 24/7.

and finally, She loves other dogs but has no interrest in meeting new people.. She doesnt act shy and try to hide but just ignores them outright.......

And here is my lovely Shiloh, my absolute bundle of joy!Image
If at first you dont succeed, then sky diving is NOT for you.
Fundog

Re: Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs

Post by Fundog »

Horace's Mum is our resident "expert" on owning a deaf dog, since she herself has one. If she doesn't see this thread pretty soon, do seek her out, as she will have some valuable input for you. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
monkakat5

Re: Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs

Post by monkakat5 »

All of my life my family has had catahoulas to work catle. In all of my experiences they have always wanted to know what we were doing when we were outside. Some had a stronger sense to herd people, mostly children, than others. After time and reasurrance they began to calm their herding instincts and were happy to play and just be around or go for walks. In general they were more interested in animals than people that came over. They weren't persay anti-social, but they figured running around the farm was more fun than sitting around with a new person. Our deaf dogs usually bonded to another dog and followed them around. I think you have a pretty normal dog, if her herding continues you may want to try giving her some outlets to show her skill and some training to walk properly on a leash. Hope this helps. :)