BEAGLE CHARACTER

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ileana

BEAGLE CHARACTER

Post by ileana »

HI TO EVERYONE. I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE BEAGLES. ME AND MY HUSBAND WANT TO GET A PUPPY BUT WE HAVE SOME QUESTIONS AND I'M LOOKING FOR ANSWERS FROM PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEAGLES AND KNOW THEIR CHARACTERS. WE HAVE A COFFEE SHOP AND FROM 4 PM UNTIL 12 WE HAVE TO BE THERE,OF COURS IN THE MORNING HE/SHE WILL HAVE 2 WALKS AND ANOTHER WHEN WE COME BACK FROM WORK BUT I HAVE READ THET BEAGLES CAN'T BE LEFT ALONE FOR A LONG TIME ANS WE ARE AFRAID THAT HE'LL START BARKING AND HOWLING AND WE DON'T WANT PROBLEMS WITH THE NEIBOURS. CAN BEAGLE OWNERS TELL ME ABOUT THAT? PLS. I HAVE TO MENTION THAT WE LIVE IN A BIG APARTMENT AND WE HAVE A RATHER BIG BALCONY APROX 20 M, IF THAT HELPS AND IS IT TRUE THAT IS A LITTLE BIT HARDER TO TRAIN A BEAGLE THEN OTHER BREEDS? THANK YOU SO MUCH.
***Melissa***

Re: BEAGLE CHARACTER

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hi,

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Beagles :( but hopefully someone will come and post some of the info that you are looking for.

In general - young pups (of any breed) shouldn't be left alone for long. An adult dog who is well exercised (mental & physical) and healthy, etc should be able to cope with those hours, but not a pup. :wink:

How would you go about potty training him? Will there be someone else there or will he be by himself?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Re: BEAGLE CHARACTER

Post by Nettle »

Kudos to you that you are thinking around this :D

Beagles are hounds, and have houndy habits and needs. This is the beagle/hound nature, but there will always be exceptions.

They are pack-oriented and like the company of other dogs
They are noisy
They need lots and lots of exercise
They will get on a scent and forget you exist
They have lovely natures
They are easy to groom
They are easy to feed

For ANY dog, you have to consider the points mentioned by Melissa, which apply to any breed or type of dog:

8 hours is way too long to leave a puppy.
How were you intending to potty-train, especially given the above?
Have you doggy daycare or someone who can dogsit?
Which of you would be "prime carer" ie do all the work? :wink:

Do I understand you have no yard? That will make potty-training a puppy a big difficulty, especially at night.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS