Chihuahua issues

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

luludaddy

Chihuahua issues

Post by luludaddy »

My three year old female is very lovable. Except when she "asks" to be picked up or helped onto the bed. When you bend over or reach out to get her, she cowers and moves just out of your reach! It's a very odd behavior don't you think? It's like "Hey you, pick me up! No...wait...don't grab me! Hey...what's the deal? Why aren't you picking me up? NOOO! Don't grab me!" It drives me NUTS! :?
dontpugme

Re: Chihuahua issues

Post by dontpugme »

What do you mean when you say she "asks" to be picked up? Has she been hurt in the past when a hand was extended over her?
--dontpugme
HunniBunni

Post by HunniBunni »

Hi! So glad you posted on Chihuahuas, as I recently have taken in one someone dumped off in the desert, and would love to know more about their breed.

Tito, as I call him, shies away from being picked up as well. He also jumps and screams bloody murder if something startles him, thinking he has been attacked. I know his life had to have been horrendous before and attribute much of it to that. So far he is slowly calming down with positive reinforcement, and teaching everyone to keep their hands from above his head. All petting has to be behind the ear or under his chin. This seems to make him more secure. He is now "asking" to be picked up when he puts his paws on my leg. I say "up" when I pick him up, from under his chest first. He is understanding what this means and is starting to look forward to it.

Please share more about their quirks and behaviors if you don't mind. I am trying to help this lil dog become a secure, confident and happy guy. :)
trabeabe

Post by trabeabe »

I have also recently taken in a Chihuhua. I adopted it from a rescue. I was told that it came from a hoarder and had one liter after the other. She is such a loving little dog. She weighs 3-4 pounds. She loves to be held, (all the time really). She sleeps under the blankets. She was not potty trained when I got her. I think i've got her trained now. I've only had her for about 5 or 6 weeks. I'm told that she is 3 or 4 years old. (I hate not knowing for sure.) I wouldn't say she necessarily asks to go potty, it's more that i'm always looking for signs. I also have another dog, (a pomeranian). I think this is helping little Nina learn quicker. The problem that I'm really concerned with now is When I have company come over, even if they try to ignore her, she will bark and nip at there legs. I speak harshly to her and she continues the barking. Then I have to pick her up and she might sit on the couch with me and we all watch a movie. But, as soon as my friend speaks and Nina remembers that she's there she starts flipping out again. I dont know how to stop this. I've had to put her on her leash before in the house to keep her near me. Does anyone have any suggestions. She does also act this way when I take her out to potty. If there is anyone else outside from another apartment, she'll bark like she wants to eat them. What should I do?
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

trabeabe wrote:I have also recently taken in a Chihuhua. I adopted it from a rescue. I was told that it came from a hoarder and had one liter after the other. She is such a loving little dog. She weighs 3-4 pounds. She loves to be held, (all the time really). She sleeps under the blankets. She was not potty trained when I got her. I think i've got her trained now. I've only had her for about 5 or 6 weeks. I'm told that she is 3 or 4 years old. (I hate not knowing for sure.) I wouldn't say she necessarily asks to go potty, it's more that i'm always looking for signs. I also have another dog, (a pomeranian). I think this is helping little Nina learn quicker. The problem that I'm really concerned with now is When I have company come over, even if they try to ignore her, she will bark and nip at there legs. I speak harshly to her and she continues the barking. Then I have to pick her up and she might sit on the couch with me and we all watch a movie. But, as soon as my friend speaks and Nina remembers that she's there she starts flipping out again. I dont know how to stop this. I've had to put her on her leash before in the house to keep her near me. Does anyone have any suggestions. She does also act this way when I take her out to potty. If there is anyone else outside from another apartment, she'll bark like she wants to eat them. What should I do?
If you haven't already, you should post your question in the Dog Training Advice section of the forum. You'll get better advice there. :D
--dontpugme