American cocker spaniels

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pam

American cocker spaniels

Post by pam »

Does anyone have any experience of having an ACS. I have had cocker spaniels in the past (English ) and they are great dogs, but have met someone with an ACS and it was just lovely. Unfortunately it wasn't the owner and they couldn't tell me much about it, they also had an English golden cocker spaniel with them too and the ACS looked like the same colour, a kind of red?
They aren't so common over here and just wondered what their personalities, exercise, grooming was like, I've looked at a few sites and one thing mentioned a few times was that some colours don't have the greatest of temperament, sable I think it was, but not sure. I hadn't realised they are a good bit smaller than an English either.
I don't mind some grooming and know a good groomers too, so that's not a problem, I'm more interested in their nature than looks really.
Last edited by pam on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helper and Seeker

Re: American cocker spaniels

Post by Helper and Seeker »

Hello Pam,

Firstly I am in the UK just so you know.

I too have owned English Cockers and American Cockers and had them separately and at the same time.

Also looked after other peoples.

No difference as far as I am concerned Grooming and temprement the same.

Your right they are smaller and also stockier.

We always kept our clipped short as does the lady around the corner from me who has 3 one tri coloour and 2 black and whites.

Ourselves we only ever owned black ones.

Red's or Goldens ias they are sometimes know in both English and American can be iffy for same reasons, we always joke it is the red hair lol A friend had a golden and she was fine always very good.

If you have the opportunity to own one go for it as they are just soo cute as are Spaniels of all kinds.

Debbie xx
People should have to do a training course PRIOR to getting any kind of pet
pam

Post by pam »

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for the reply, you may have just persuaded me towards an ACS rather than getting another cocker :)
My main concerns were about grooming and temperament but I'll be doing my homework when the time is right. I've already e-mailed a breeder in Blackpool who may have pups later in the year. They show and their dogs are lovely but I am after a family pet only but obviously want all the relevant health tests done.
I love the black and the black and white dogs.
Pam
Helper and Seeker

Post by Helper and Seeker »

Hi Pam,

So your in the UK too :D

Contact the rescues as they might know of a rescue needing a home if you might be interested is doing this not all rescues have problems.

Good Luck and hope you find a lovely family member :) xx
People should have to do a training course PRIOR to getting any kind of pet
agilitynut

Post by agilitynut »

I have 2 American Cockers. My black/white parti boy is 11 1/2 and has the best temperment. He has never met a stranger and is happy, happy, happy. My other is an 8 year old black boy. He's sweet too but had a bad start in life, he was dumped in the shelter 3 times by the time he was 5 months old. I've had him since he was 1 1/2 yrs old. I don't trust him 100% in all situations but I don't believe it to be a breed thing, just that he was raised poorly.

They do have many health issues though. Between my two we have epilepsy, allergies, degenerative discs, cataracts and autoimmune karatitus (sp?) I feel like I'm forgetting some.
Good breeding is very important.

Tammy
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

My first dog after I was married was an American Cocker/Lab, he was a wonderful dog but kept well away from my children, would never hurt them but didn't do children, can't blame him :lol:

Dolly is a Working Cocker/Dachshund and is very like Sweep, in fact there are times when I think she is sweep, her ears are not quite as long.

There are some very good spaniel rescues in the UK.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Olivers mama

Post by Olivers mama »

This will probably not be popular, but it's just honest observations.

I worked for a neurovet for years as an AHT/Surgical Tech. There were 2 breeds we always "red-dotted", meaning we'd put a red dot on their charts so the next person that had to handle these were aware they were biters. Miniature poodles & (only blond) ACS. Not many people will admit to it, but even UC Davis went so far as to "study" these 2 breeds where owners actually went for a partial frontal lobotomy in an effort to stop the aggression. Pretty severe, they could just as easily (IMO) gone with a really good trainer...

I never shied from a Pit, GSD, Rottie, Dobie - but was continually snapped at from Mini Poodles & the blond ACS. I had a 3-legged Blk/Tan ACS for a long time & he was fine. (His owner didn't want him after he lost his leg due to hit-by-car.)

IMO, English Cockers are far superior in temperament. Just food for thought...