Gerberian Shepsky

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Gerberian Shepsky

Post by JudyN »

A friend has just adopted an 8-month-old rescue Gerberian Shepsky. 'A what?' I said to myself :shock: It's a cross between a German Shepherd and a Siberian Husky. I thought that sounded like a challenging mix but apparently they tend to have an extremely gentle and calm temperament.

Anyone come across this cross before?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
AliceGrimm

Re: Gerberian Shepsky

Post by AliceGrimm »

I have heard of people breeding German Shepards and Huskies.. or having that mix. I didn't know it was a mix breed though.. like a thing.. called Gerberian Shepsky.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Husky x GSD crosses aren't uncommon, comparatively, but I've never seen them given a designer breed name before (except on That One Dog Breed Website which has every imaginable cross listed and constantly touts alpha theory).
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It isn't a breed any more than a cockerpoo is. :wink: It's a crossbreed and won't breed true.

As for the temperament described - neither a husky nor a GSD has that temperament, so watch for flying pigs.

I expect they are very handsome, though.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:As for the temperament described - neither a husky nor a GSD has that temperament, so watch for flying pigs.
That's what I was thinking :lol:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Well give them a fancy name and people open their wallets wider to pay for them! lol
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yup! I'd be interested to know if this one was bought because of her looks/fancy name and then rehomed because of 'issues' - i.e. behaving in line with the individual breed standards. My friend owns and runs an upmarket B&B so I wouldn't have said a guarding breed was the best choice.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Prompted to come back to this ... ive now seen three of these in the last two months and they are all super reactive and very very bitey.

Very mixed up dogs who don't quite know what htey want and can't offer clear body language to make themselves understood andthus resort to biting really fast.

A mix I would recommend folk avoid like the plague!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We'll be staying near them in June so hopefully we'll find this one's an exception. Given that my friend runs an upmarket B&B with staff and guests coming and going, I sure hope she is.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Here'sthe training log of a knowledgeable person with this cross -- she is very well trained and seems to get along well with other dogs. But think of what a GSD or a husky turns into in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to Dog, and the cross of them doing the same thing in the same hands isn't a surprise.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14