Puppy hunting

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Puppy hunting

Post by Shalista »

My brother has decided that he wants to get a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Our family had one when we were kids.

I'm helping him puppy hunt.

As you know I had a kind of terrible experience getting Bax from a breeder and I want to help him find a good one.

What are some basic things to ask a breeder to make sure you're getting a good one? I've researched tests and it seems like hip dysplasia is something to look out for. and obviously meet the sire and dame. ask about temperament. anything else?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Puppy hunting

Post by Erica »

Dunbar's "Before You Get Your Puppy" is a pretty good place to start - with a fairly gregarious breed like corgis, I wouldn't eliminate a breeder based on the socialization to people that Dunbar recommends, as it's a balance between socialization and protecting them from disease. Delta's litter met maybe twenty people before being sent home? and with good genes and socialization once they're fairly protected, it's not a problem. (A more skittish breed, temperament wise, I would want way more baby puppy socialization - eg GSDs, Chows.) Dunbar outlines a perfect-world-ideal, which is difficult to find in the real world. :P But it's a good place to start and get an idea of what to look for.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14