Gundogs?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lara575

Re: Gundogs?

Post by Lara575 »

Hi all

Forget what I put above. She has contacted a breeder and came to talk to me after speaking to a breeder of each pointer.

Both breeds said the same thing.

The English pointer breeder and the GSP breeder both said that pointers don't really grow up and are a hyper breed so even with lots of exercise they are still going to be bouncy because it's in the breed, by nature they are a high engery dog.

As she has now learned that both these breed are naturally hyper , high engery dogs she has decided against both.

She also thinks that maybe it was not just the whole stranger friendly think with the Golden she thinks maybe she prefers short coats over long ones like the Golden.

She's decided on a few changes to the list above like grooming is low now and she wants a short coated breed. Shedding does not bother her. She also feels she would have to drop the suspicious of strangers trait to find her perfect breed.

So instead. She wants me to ask is there a breed who is similar in temperament to the Goldie and similar in engery level to the Golden that has a short coat as she does not want a dog who is bouncy and hyper when matured. She is fine with a dog who is bouncy for the first 2-3 yrs but once the dog has matured she wants him to act like an adult.

I was thinking showline Labrador myself as iv always been told that they are high engery when young but once adult labs turn into a laid back medium engery dog. I though maybe a lab might be suited but thought it was better to see on here.

Any suggestions?
Erica

Post by Erica »

The handful of GSPs I've known have been fairly high-strung and supremely wild, but their owners barely walk them a mile. Still, there's a reason they're a breed favored for competitive joring sport mixes in warmer climates where huskies don't flourish - they're determined, and strong, and can run forever. Unless your friend plans on taking up running, not just hiking, I wouldn't recommend a GSP. I don't think their energy matches what she's looking for.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the second post. A good lab seems like a good match, or just taking her list of preferences to a shelter to see what they have that matches her.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Lara575

Post by Lara575 »

Thanks Erica

I was thinking lab to be honest.

So in your opinion you would not say an adult lab is hyper or highly strung?
Erica

Post by Erica »

It would really depend on the line - working labs wouldn't be a relaxed, calm adult in most households, but a show or pet line dog could easily be a calm adult. I would be looking to meet the parents and see if they are calm (relatively, anyways - meeting new people will probably get them excited, but they should settle down after a few minutes). The lab and lab mixes I know are lovely, fairly calm adults. If your friend wants to be sure, a shelter or other rescue is very likely to have adult labs/lab mixes and could probably match her with an appropriate one, if the rescue is good at their job.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Lara575

Post by Lara575 »

She has pretty much choosen the Labrador as she has read several websites including the UK Labrador club website and likes everything about labs. She has also just come off the phone with a breeder and she was all smiles.

She has one last thing she would like to ask with this being her first dog and first lab are both genders the same or would female be easier. She's not bothered about males being bigger. She was told by the breeder females are less likely to get attackd or even provoke another female like how males challenge each other in adolescent and even adulthood. She also told my neighbour that females are more easier to train as males easily get distracted when in the teenage stage.

The main problem she would face with a female is when in season but she's fine with that.

Are females easier to train and handle in public than males?