English Springer spaniel? Help advice needed

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Houndlover

English Springer spaniel? Help advice needed

Post by Houndlover »

OK as some of you know I was considering a Basset hound after careful research and thought I have decided that as much as I love bassets there not for me. As they don't match some of the trust I'm looking for in a dog. I have since been looking at some breeds who do match me like the Labrador again but I feel there to big for me as I liked the size of the Basset.

The main issue I had with the Basset is I'm looking for a dog who is not independent minded is the best way to describe a Basset, as well as I want a really active who will enjoy , hiking as well as long days out on country walks. I live in Devon so I have lots of places to take the dog on hikes and days out.

I am now looking at the English Springer spaniel. They seem perfect from what I have researched. The only thinking I'm finding hard is which line show or field bred. I like the look and size of both the only thing I'm bothered about is even though I want and active\ energetic dog I don't want hyper ( I want the dog to be able to relax in the evening not still ready to go out for another 5hrs when we have been out all day). Which this is what I have been told about the field bred ESS that they don't calm down or don't have an off switch. And they need a job. Which I'm not interested in field work or hunting , neither am I interested in Agility , search and rescue ect. Lots of training and brain games I can do and we will mainly be hiking on most days a week as well as country walks or days out at the beach. So this made me think that show line would be more suited to a companion \pet life.

Is the field ESS more hyper and not suited to pet life than the show ESS. ( Remember I'm not interested in working my dog apart from training and brain games and fun thinks outside all day , like hiking as mentioned)

Many thanks
Houndlover
Nettle

Re: English Springer spaniel? Help advice needed

Post by Nettle »

Show lines are always less driven than working lines, no matter what the breed, but even a show ESS is going to be a livewire, so check out some actual dogs before you commit.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I have some experience here :D I have one of each. :wink:

This is Jack, a show line Springer/Cocker cross. Although looks more like pure Springer and favours the Springer side. He's more medium energy. Happily enjoy long walks and hikes, games and playing, but also once walked and loved on, will happily snooze on the couch for the evening. Much more suited to everyday pet life.

This is The Pixie, my baby girl. Working line Springer mixed with something unknown (until I get a DNA test done for my own curiosity.) Very much working Springer in energy levels, natural fitness, very bright, and needs far, far more exercise and stimulation. Also more prone to destructiveness if that energy isn't channelled properly, and needs a lot more training.

Now personally, I adore her more challenging attitude, and energy levels, but she is also more demanding, and less inclined to just chill and sleep. Even after a full day, and both dogs and snoozing on the sofa, if I show signs of movement that indicate I might be about to go out and do something, even just gardening, she'll be up, ready and waiting and up for an adventure. She'll be out there with me the whole time, picking all the weeds out of the bucket and scattering them about the garden, entirely focused on it as a game. I remember after one particular long outing for the day, she was shattered. But because other things were going on, she didn't have the post walk afternoon nap she usually does, and just like an over-tired toddler, she became fractious, barkey, unsettled and difficult. I had to enforce a chill out naptime by taking both dogs into my room, dimming the lights, reading a book and telling them to settle. She eventually slept, and it was clear she really really needed the enforced naptime. The energy doesn't run out. The more exercise she does, the fitter she gets, and the longer she can keep going. All day if necessary. And she will give herself exercise enough to stay lean and muscular by leaping about on furniture and running laps in the garden and house, let alone on walks.

I also lived in a converted barn on a landlords property, where they bred working Springers. Fantastic dogs, but similar energy levels as Pixie, and some were also prone to being destructive when not worked enough.

Are you in the US or UK? I don't know how much difference that makes with Springers, but I know it makes a difference with Labs, so wouldn't be surprised if there's a difference in Springers too.

From what you've described wanting, I'd think a show line would be perfect for you. Or look for a breeder who is breeding for pets rather than workers.

Please post pics if you do get one! I'd love to see them, Springers are my heart breed. :D
Houndlover

Post by Houndlover »

Hi all

I will be researching and meeting some in the future. But in the meantime I do have one last thing to ask which will determine if I should be considering them.

With even the Showline still being a livewire compared to other breeds , are they a breed that would settle down in the evenings after being out all day like 11am-4pm? Plus lots of mental exercise throughout the day tow.

Or do even the Showline not have an off switch even after being out all day?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That depends on what 'out all day' means.

Out all day working in the shooting field - yep, they'll settle.

Out all day walking mostly offlead - yes again.

Out all day mooching round the yard - no, not at all.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Houndlover

Post by Houndlover »

Hi everyone

After PM Nettle and discussing the springer in more detail I have decided on the springer.

Scarletsci - iv decided to go with show line ESS and shall post photos once I find my perfect ESS. :D
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Houndlover wrote:Hi everyone

After PM Nettle and discussing the springer in more detail I have decided on the springer.

Scarletsci - iv decided to go with show line ESS and shall post photos once I find my perfect ESS. :D
I'm so pleased for you! I really don't think you'd ever regret it, they're wonderful dogs! I adore mine to the world and back. So much fun, and so sweet. If you give the dog enough physical and mental exercise through the day, and they get into a routine of "okay, evenings are crash out on the sofa and chill time", they'll be fine.

If you get a puppy, it may have the odd crazy zoomie period in the evening, but puppy zoomies wear off as they grow :D

Good luck with the puppy search!