weimaraner?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

weimaranerlover

weimaraner?

Post by weimaranerlover »

Hi to all members who may read this.

I joined the fourm in hope you may be able to help me. I have been brought up with weimaraners since I was a little girl as my dad is a breeder and still is I decided a 5yrs ago I was ready to welcome a dog into my life. I studied dog behaviour at a dog training academy and have sat at the park seval times a day to observe were owners were going wrong so I don't make the same mistakes I have also sat in dog training classes to see how varied and different a lot of classes are and that were I learned I much prefer to train positively.

I have gained knowledge of behaviour of dogs and how I can communicate through my body language.

Last year I decided on a weimaraner however I keep being told that they are not a first dog to own and I wanted your views on this. I have done research and have lived with the breed for many years. I have read a few post on certain breeds and first dogs. And I agree in one of the posts with Ari were he states he could not have wait 10+ yrs to own his heart breed.

But at the same time I only have knowledge not hands on experience as my dad's are already well trained so I have not raised a dog before. It would either be a weimaraner or a GSD.

I want your views on this breed for a newbie and also who would be easier to raise and train a weimaraner or a GSD?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Fundog

Re: weimaraner?

Post by Fundog »

Having been brought up with weimaraners your whole life does count for something though. The question is, what do you plan to do with your dog, be it gsd or weim? As you know, weimaraners are gun dogs, bred to hunt upland game. Did your father hunt his dogs? Did you go with him ever? And how were his dogs trained? What would you do differently? If you don't intend to hunt, but have a hunting breed, how would you satisfy that need for your dog?
In my opinion, you are comparing Apple's to oranges. And from my point of view, as a gun dog owner, gun dogs are biddable and sensitive as a class, which makes them easy to train unless the trainer is a hard core knot head. From my point of view the decision is not that difficult. Do you prefer apples or oranges?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
weimaranerlover

Post by weimaranerlover »

Hi Fundog

Actually , yes my farther hunts with his , he still does. I would not want to hunt with mine which is one of the things I was going to ask if I definitely choose one what could I do with a weim instead of hunting. I did go with my dad but the sight of a dead bird made me want to throw up. He also trains his positively. Even back in the 50's he would not use the harsh methods that trainers were using back then he saw dogs were eaiser trained with food and praise even back then.

I can provide 2hrs+ of physical exercise a day but other than playing , Kong's I'm not sure now to mentally stimulate as my dad has always gone hunting?

What I want from my dog is a family companion.

What are your thoughts?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

The possibilities are endless, and there are a lot of ideas on the EXERCISE THE MIND thread in the health, diet, exercise section. Gun dogs tend to be good at agility, but they really enjoy eventing games like "find it" and working scent trails. Gun dogs can also be trained for search and rescue, and in police work as drug sniffing and bomb dogs. The goal is to simulate these real world occupations with activities that mimic them. I take my dogs "hunting" without guns, allow them to seek, point, and flush with permission. On walks I take th err m through brush in open fields and let them find gophers, rabbits, and birds. Etc. Use your imagination. :)

That was supposed to be scenting games, not eventing, lol. Autocorrect is a pain sometimes.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.