Westie info.

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Westie info.

Post by Theo400 »

Hi all

As a quick reminder in my last post me and my sister were choosing our breed and we finally chose the Golden Retriever. Well I was reading the we are ready post again and on the last page I agree with the advice given that if my sister gets her heart breed there is nothing stopping me getting my GSD again once my sister has more experience and we are ready for a second dog. So I was talking to her about this last week to ask and she said that she would not want me to get GSD as a second dog as she would still feel the same way about them. Which I totally understand however we will be living with each other for many years to come as neither of us wants to be alone as well as other reasons, anyway I just told her that I feel it is unfair for her to have her heart breed and not me. I was shocked she agreed with me so we decided not to go with a GR. So I said why don't we go to crufts and meet all the breeds at discover dogs. So we did yesterday. There was only one breed we both like and that's the Westie which was one of the breeds we asked about first.

I did get a lot of info from the people at the Westie stand but I want to see if you answer the Questions I gave the same.

1\ I have read westies are snappy and hard to train?

2\ westies are big barkers and you can't stop them from barking no matter what?

3\ there hard to train and are for experienced hands only?

Grooming is fine as I have a great groomer who use to groom Theo.

I will tell you what the people said at crufts after iv had a few reply as I'm really interested in seeing if I get similar answers or very different answers?
Nettle

Re: Westie info.

Post by Nettle »

Westies are terriers but many generations away from serious work. So they WILL be noisy if not trained not to be, they are no harder to train than any other terrier and considerably easier than some, and if there is no reason for them to be snappy then they won't be.

Great little dogs, fairly big grooming requirement (but you have that in hand) and quite a few health issues.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS