Hounds?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Houndlover

Hounds?

Post by Houndlover »

Hello

I have always loved the scent hound group and knew when I was ready I would get a hound :D

Now in my middle 40's :lol: I am ready. After working so hard for 20 odd years I have now started my own business and its has been going for 6yrs. My puppy would be able to come with me and I will be able to spend my time with him, he would also have his own room to zone out and relax.

I am really finding it hard to choose which hound is right, I have got a list of the hounds I like but I would really like advice on which one you feel suits me more. They are

1) Basset Hound

2) Beagle

3) Grand Basset Griffen vendee

4) same as above but the Petite

5) Bloodhound

I love all of them and find it hard to choose

All the things I'm about to say are based on a adult rather than a puppy as all puppies can be mad for the first tow years or so. But I want a hound who matches me when he matures.

I'm looking for a hound who is laid back and will be happy with tow walks a day for around 40-45mins every day.

I am looking for a hound who is happy to snooze for part of the day the other half part from exercise will be spent doing nose work I love watching hound work.

Drooling does not bother me either does hound smell :lol:

I also am aware that with a hound you have to have patience and a sense of humor to train them as there not border collies who are willing to pkease.

The main concern I have for all of those hound is when I read they can be very vocal and are better if there is another dog there is this true? Can I train a scent hound to not bark or howl.
JudyN

Re: Hounds?

Post by JudyN »

I'm not an expert at all, I just like talking dog (I'm a sighthound person myself).... :wink:

But I'd have a look at the health of each breed, if you haven't already. Bassets and bloodhounds worry me because in older dogs the eyes look to be in a terrible state, practically turned inside out. So maybe as well as seeing the mum, you want to see the gran and the great-granny!

I'm often meeting unaccompanied beagles and hearing the cry of 'Rosie! Come!' in the far distance. Recall does seem to be a big issue with them, but maybe that's the same with most of the scenthounds.

Our esteemed leader has just got a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen so hopefully she'll spot your post and share her wisdom :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Houndlover

Post by Houndlover »

Thanks JudyN for the advice I have just had a research on the Basset and have learned of back problems after reading how unhealthy bassets can be I have taken them of my list.

Still trying to find the Bloodhounds health. Cant wait to see what others have to say :D .

And hopefully from emmabeth :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The healthiest are the two sizes of Griffon Vendeen, the Fauve de Bretagne, and a beagle where you choose the right breeder (lots of puppy-farmed beagles about).

All scenthounds are noisy, and two just make twice the noise! :lol: two hounds make a pack, and will deaf you out. Don't get two.

Recall is the hardest thing to teach scenthounds but it CAN be done.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Houndlover

Post by Houndlover »

Hi Nettle

You say beagles are noisy which would not be ideal as I'm not fond of dog who bark non stop or at every little thing.

Could you please recommend breeds that are

1) not overly noisy

2) are not smaller than a Beagle and no bigger than a Labrador

3) who love people ( as I get a bus to my shop everyday, and I have visitors to my house a lot family, friends)

4) who will be happy with tow 45 min walks daily plus plenty of mental stimulation.

Other than noisy I'm not fond of thin breeds like whippets or hairless, or breeds who need tons of grooming ( I could handle a goldie but that would as far as I could go).

What breeds do you think would suit me.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You need to do your research and come up with a shortlist of breeds that you like, and a list of characteristics you can't stand, another list of those that are must-haves, and areas where you are prepared to compromise. Then we can help. It isn't reasonable to expect us to go through all three hundred and some of pedigree breeds while you say you don't like this or you don't like that :lol: But we are very happy to help once you have your specific wants/don't wants listed.

Houndlover

Post by Houndlover »

Hi Nettle

Other than the Beagle I like Labradors , cockapoo .

Would either of these suit what I write above about noise and them needing to be east to train, people friendly ect. :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, either of those would do nicely.

Houndlover

Post by Houndlover »

Hi

So labidors ( my nickname for them) would be OK with tow 45 min walks and are not overly noisy as I know I read some gundogs can be noisy?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Any healthy adult dog would like more walking than that and any dog can be noisy given the right incentives. :wink:

Houndlover

Post by Houndlover »

Hi guys

I thought I would post in here rather than open a new thread.

I have been doing some research and even though the lab is a good match for me I just can't help the fact I love hounds.

When I went to crufts there was one hound that stole my heart after meeting three of them in person. The Basset hound.

I really have fallen for them and am not bothered with all the health issues but of course I will still make sure I find a well bred one.

I spent time with more bassets since crufts and they are perfect for me. I'm aware there stubborn and need a patient owner but there is only one thing that is a concern, not for me for my neighbours.

Barking I know with them being a hound they are prone to howl and bark but he would never and I mean never be on his own can I prevent the barking with training from an early age. I read on a website that no matter how much training Basset are hounds and will bark not matter what.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

One of the trademarks of the hound group is that they "sing" (howl) when they are on a scent. Hunters who use hounds rely on that to locate their dogs and whatever they are hunting. It cannot be trained out of them, any more than the urge to point can be trained out of a gun dog.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

http://www.trailhoundwelfare.org.uk/

Trailhound every time if you live in the UK.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Wow, I live in the UK and I'd never even heard of trailhounds! What lovely dogs!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009