"handsy" dog breeds

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

"handsy" dog breeds

Post by Shalista »

So I'm having a bit of a discussion with someone and i want it settled. Are some breeds more "handsy" then others or is it an individuals personality trait? What I mean by "handsy" is a dog that's more inclined to use their paws. Bax for example uses his paws for everything. he pins down chews, cups toys, paws me when he wants something, and very easily learned several tricks that require him to paw something or lift a paw. Ki however never uses his paws for anything except standing on them and despite my attempts doesn't seem at all interested in learning any tricks with his paws despite being very intelligent and willing to learn.

Is this a breed difference or an individual difference? If it's a breed difference what possible reason could there be for people to breed more "handsy" dogs? is there an advantage for a dog to use its paws a lot?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Fundog

Re: "handsy" dog breeds

Post by Fundog »

I think the dogs that use their paws more are just displaying more ingenuity and tenacity. :wink: I don't think it's necessarily a breed trait, though certain breeds may be more likely to do so -- such as terriers, who like to dig.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.