DNA results

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dixie9

DNA results

Post by Dixie9 »

Very interesting, I have a jack Russell, I've seen both mum and dad. He's very fluffy with a tail like basil brush. He has jack Russell marking and shape body and traits

I got him DNA tested and the results are strange. He is not level 1 at all which means his mum and dad would both be jack Russell's, but I've seen them

He is level 2 jack Russell which means one of his parents is a jack rusell hmmm

He is level 3 Manchester terrier which means one of his grandparents was a machester terrier

He is a level 4 Belgian sheep dog which means one of his great grandparents was a Belgian sheepdog. I have to laugh because a jack Russell and Belgian sheepdog lol can't imagine
Erica

Re: DNA results

Post by Erica »

DNA tests are, from what I've heard, not terribly reliable yet. :) I think there was a story about someone who sent their dog's DNA to several companies (or multiple times to one company) and it came back with several very different results. Your results do sound a bit strange, especially the Belgian Sheepdog, haha! That would be an astonishing cross, though I think people have started crossbreeding terriers and larger working dogs in order to get very adept sport dogs...Border Terrier x Malinois comes to mind as a flyball dog, for example.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, the DNA tests aren't worth the paper they are written on. And Jack Russells themselves are mongrels, which does not make them any less delightful.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Dixie9

Post by Dixie9 »

In guessing that they are not reliable as I can't imagine a jack Russell and Belgian sheepdog

I done it because I was having some issues and thought if I was more clear about his breed or mix it may help. Now I guess what he's going through isn't a breed thing

He's very cute anyway and I dont care if he was mongrel, crossed with an elephant or rabbit. I didn't get him as a jack Russell or pedigree I rescued him
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

What gets me about the DNA testing scam is the frequency with which rare breeds come up in the results. Doesn't make statistical sense to me.

I have a small rescue mongrel with absolutely no recognisable breed in in her appearance. She is what she is - unique. I'm not interested in a piece of paper purporting to tell me what breeds are in her make up. My best guess would be mongrel + mongrel, and mongrels pretty much all the way. A proper dog in other words.