Hungarian Viszla or Beagle?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tomato

Re: Hungarian Viszla or Beagle?

Post by tomato »

Hi Bendog,

Thank you for telling me more about Beagles. Some people are telling me Beagles require a lot of work out as they are hyperactive LOL What you said is right that it all depends on what I'm looking for.
Yep, puppy will definitely make accidents in the house. I'm prepared for that :-) I will get several big puppy towels to dry the feet when we come back home.
Oh, I will also check out Whippet you mentioned. And thank you for your comments!! :-)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Beagles and Vizlas are both high-energy dogs and would have very demanding exercise requirements. Greyhounds are undemanding dogs but still need twice-daily exercise, much more than the short time promoted by the Rescue organisations. And they have a huge prey drive.

How do you intend to manage a dog's toileting requirements if you do not have a garden or yard? How do you intend to manage the dog's day when you are at work? All these need consideration.

Well done for doing all your investigating well in advance :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Post by gwd »

Nettle wrote:Beagles and Vizlas are both high-energy dogs and would have very demanding exercise requirements. Greyhounds are undemanding dogs but still need twice-daily exercise, much more than the short time promoted by the Rescue organisations. And they have a huge prey drive.
vizsla's are wonderful dogs if you've got a LOT of time to spend exercising and training. ......a gal in my agility class has a wonderful boy. he's smart, athletic and trainable. however, because of his energy, she does multiple sports with him. lure coursing, agility, obedience .....and she runs at least 5 miles a day. .......he is particularly energetic (even for a vizsla) and without the physical and mental stimulation that she provides, her boy would be difficult to live with. ......for her, since she enjoys dog sports, he's a wonderful addition to the family.

i've known other vizsla's that were a bit lower key than my agility partners, but even they would be considered high energy by most dog standards. .......they also require a good bit of (more than most dogs) of early socialization. they can be sensitive and that sensitivity can translate to timidness if they've not had a really good foundation.

when i read the first post my thought was greyhound as a suggestion. i see several other posters beat me to the idea. i like it, brilliant suggestion. ......lovely dogs, always up for a walk or adventure, but happy to be that "40 mph couch potato" .......

as for hair, long or short coat isn't always the best indicator of how much hair winds up on your couch or floor. ......i have two springers an i swear to Dog that they product more dog hair dust bunnies than my four english setters did. .......i have a good friend with dalmatians and those guys shed like crazy.

if shedding is one of your main concerns, terriers, poodles, pwd's, black russian's, bouviers, basenji's are all lower on the shed scale..........the list ive given all have very different temperaments.... and while i don't wish to dismiss your concern for hair balls skittering across your floor, i think you'll be happier with your new addition if you place far more weigh on the temperament and energy level of your new addtion and have hair be lower on the 'wish list'

good luck to you and good for you for seeking information to make sure you get a good fit.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It would be good if you made a list of what you absolutely couldn't stand (for instance I can't stand drooly dogs, so that cuts out a whole raft of breeds) and what you could tolerate, what you would like (an affectionate dog, an aloof dog - no such dog as can be affectionate when you want and asleep when you don't) and honestly what you are prepared to give with training and exercise.

THEN study the list of 'possibles' and see what the breed was originally designed to do. Because that will be the needs of the dog underlined. There is no way (for instance) a dog bred to herd stock or run over grouse moors for 10 hours a day is going to be low-energy :wink: A dog bred to bark for hours (eg a beagle) isn't a good choice for a dog that is going to be left in an apartment. Once all breeds had a job, and the need to do a job is still present in all breeds. The trick is to pick a breed whose job suits your requirements.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

tomato wrote:No, we are looking for a dog with big ears :-)
When we got our first dog, I'll admit, we were driven largely by looks :oops: We'd decided on a lurcher, mainly because they weren't on the go all day long, but smooth coated ones really didn't do it for us and we just had to have a rough coated one. Now I've met many lurchers, I find that I love the look of smooth coated ones too and could very easily give the right one sofa space, and love it to bits. And having met more dogs in general, I could easily fall for a Staffie or a whippet, neither breeds I would have considered before.

So by all means go for a dog you can fall in love with, but it really is true that beauty is only skin deep :D

Oh, I've also found that it is possible to find more hours in the day than you thought possible when you realise that your dog takes up more time than you planned, and I've also become more laid back about dirt and mud (though it's fair to day I was pretty laid back in the first place :oops: ).

Good luck with your decision! :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
tomato

Post by tomato »

I am sorry for the very late reply. I was in Santorini and just came back a few days ago. I had a really bad WIFI connection and it was disconnected constantly. I have been thinking about it over and over. I watched so many different episodes of Victoria's It's me or dog. We decided not to get a dog or puppy for now. When I get a dog to my house as a family member, I would like to be responsible for the dog 100%. I have been asking myself.... "ARE YOU READY???" And I'm not ready at the moment. Once I am more settled then we will consider again.

Since we do like to have a pet, we are considering to get Chinchillas :-) I thank you for every one of you for writing replies for my question! I really appreciate it :-)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How lovely of you to come and say thank you - WE really appreciate that :D

Visit the Board when you can - then by the time you do get your dog, you'll know lots about them.

Have fun with your chinchillas!