looking for a dog

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kateny55

looking for a dog

Post by kateny55 »

hi
I am going to get a dog soon but I am not sure about what breed. I like labs and collies. I do have 2 cats, a parrot and nieces and nephews that come over often. I am active and love to walk. I like meeting people so I would like a friendly dog. what breed is a better match for me?
bendog

Re: looking for a dog

Post by bendog »

Research both, we can't give you an answer.

Collies are highly intelligent, they need tons of mental stimulation as well as exercise so be sure you can provide this.

Labs are usually very friendly, but can be boisterous and over excitable which may not be suitable around children.

The best way if possible to know which would suit you is to look after a friends lab or collie for a night or a weekend to see just how much hard work it is!
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

If you've the energy and space for a collie or a lab, why not try a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

I'm biased naturally, but Odin is my first, but I'm now a massive fan of the breed.

Don't be misguided by the hype, these are not fighting dogs. Do your homework, and if you want an insight into the RR character, check out the video where Odin is playing with Pippin as a pup.

I mean it about doing homework, because you need to get the training right from the start. These are clever, sensitive dogs but react badly to harsh training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgj-nkhhZy4

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You need to make lists. :)

What you don't want ( a dog that needs a lot of grooming, that sheds, that likes to get into muddy water etc)

What you can't stand. (a dog that barks a lot, needs a lot of attention, is clumsy etc)

What you'd be prepared to put work into (high-energy dogs, dogs that need a lot of stimulation)

How much time per day you have to give the dog (you need at least four clear hours and more if you get either of the breeds you have mentioned)

What you expect from a dog (so far we have cat-friendly, bird-friendly, people friendly and calm around children) Any breed of dog loves to hike as long as it is one with a normal shape and has no breathing issues)

What facilities do you have for exercising?

IMO wise to keep away from the border collie unless you have all day every day to spend working with the dog.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Also consider looking at rescue dogs, you can get older dogs who have already developed their characters and you will have a better idea of what they will be like and how they will fit in. I would suggest looking in smaller rescues who use foster homes or live with their rescue dogs themselves, because they will have a much better idea of the dog than a big rescue where the dogs are kennelled. Personally unless you want a puppy, if you don't already know what breed you want and exactly why, I would have a good look round at a few kennels, armed with you list as advised above, and see who catches your eye. They have many different breeds and also cross breeds.

But Nettle's list is more important than anyone else's opinion, and will help you make the right decision led by head not heart or looks.

Also if you decide to get a puppy make sure you research the breeders of the breed you decide on, and remember it is worth waiting to get a healthy puppy from a good breeder, rather then risk one with health problems or lack of support from the breeder.
marie estey

Post by marie estey »

After getting Ginji 6 months ago I'll give you the best advice I learned. Talk to the breeder and see the puppies. For me I couldn't the breeder and I had to meet half way and I had to pick him over the internet via web came with her. I love him to death but he's defiantly my wild child. Getting to know the puppies before you bring one home helps you to find the one to fit to you. Also don't forget those guys at the pound they need homes too.