small dogs

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

newjerseylab

small dogs

Post by newjerseylab »

I am looking for a small dog that would go with my lab. I am looking for a small dog with a lab-like personality. I like havanese, papillons, shihtzus. would any of these breeds be good? Anyone know of another small dog breed?
thanks
emmabeth

Re: small dogs

Post by emmabeth »

I wouldn't say any of those are remotely labrador like in personality - all I can think of is another gundog, so perhaps a spaniel?
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Yes, I have to agree with Emmabeth, none of those breeds are what I would call "lab like" in personality, though they are great breeds. Here's a link to Animal Planet's dog breed finder site. You answer some questions about what you're looking for in a dog and it comes up with a list of breeds that meet your criteria. At the very least it's fun to do and might give you some breed ideas. In the middle part of the page you'll see a link for "Dog Breed Selector" just to the left of the Dog Breed List. Just click on the Selector and you'll be on your way.
http://animal.discovery.com/breedselect ... orindex.do
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
jbirdsd

Post by jbirdsd »

What do you mean by ' go with'....do you just mean get along well? Or for some time of working activity? At my local small dog rescues they are generally mixes and vary greatly in personality. They live with foster families who get to know them and often have them with other dogs. So its doable to find a good fit with your current dog by talking with the foster. Here, they will even let you have a sleep over to see how they seem to do before commiting. Rescues are listed on petfinder.com and you can sort by all different types of criteria as well as see the names of the various rescues....as well as read about there personalities. One thing to consider is that labs are larger and can hurt a small dog by playing too rough, so might be good to consider breeds with sturdier builds then delicate ones.
lillyfire

Post by lillyfire »

I have a Tibetian Spaniel. He's about 13 pounds and is very good with the bigger dogs. Tibbies have lots of energy and love to play so I would think would match a lab very nicely. The great thing about these dogs is that they can be active when you are and relax when your not. My guy plays all day with his two sisters who are border collie and wheaton terrier mixes. They run out of energy before he does. Tibbies are big dogs in a small dogs body.
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Keeping the huntin' shootin' and fishin' theme, you could do a lot worse than a border terrier. :D

My Pippen gets along just fine with my Ridgeback.

bendog

Post by bendog »

Yep, go for a terrier, or more specifically a Border Terrier :)
They'll play all day and keep up with big dogs no problem.
I've walked mine with Border collies, and whippets and although he's a lot older than them he keeps up fine.

Or a Jack Russell.

But I'd think an active terrier breed would be a good match. Not lab like in personality as such, but I think they'd compliment each other nicely.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Terriers are a lot more feisty than labs, I think (never owned a lab), tenacious and have their own minds. However, they are a lot of fun and have plenty of energy, just like a lab should. And while it's not lab like in temperament, my own terrier gets mistaken for a 13 week old lab more than you would credit!

ImageImage