Italian Spinones

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Becca

Italian Spinones

Post by Becca »

Hi everyone!

I posted in the "Introduce Yourself" section a couple of days ago as I am new to the forums.

As I said in that post, I do not yet have a dog, but am eager to get one as soon as I am living in a suitable place, so I am using this time to find out all I need to in advance!

So far the breed my boyfriend and I are drawn to is the Italian Spinone. They are apparently great family pets, and have a relaxed nature, both important things to us. Also, they are a bit unusual and scruffy looking, which we like, and have amusing characters.

I am aware they were originally hunting dogs, so I am interested to know if anyone has any experience of them with other animals? In the future I would also like to introduce cats to our family, which I believe would be relatively (as far as these things can be!) easy, but the thing I am more worried about is chickens...

Does anyone have experience of Spinones living with chickens? How do they get on? Does the Spin chase the hens, etc?!

I found this video on youtube (hope it is ok to post it, apologies if not), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqSWycm72Ec&NR=1 and is the only reference I can find of Spinones and chickens at all. It seems quite unusual of any dog to put up with this, but would be absolutely perfect if Spinones in general are amenable to this sort of close relationship with hens.

I look forward to any responses about my questions, and would also be pleased to hear from Spinone owners about any other aspects of owning one of these gorgeous dogs.

Thanks in advance,

Becca.
Labsrule

Re: Italian Spinones

Post by Labsrule »

Hello, Spinones are lovely dogs but they do like to hunt and some can be a bit selective in their hearing when it comes to training/recalling when on the nose :D Get one from a pup and introduce it to your chickens immediately (under supervision of course), as pup grows up they will just become another accepted part of his/her environment and they will be fine together. I have 2 dogs (not Spinones), mine happily live alongside my chickens and ducks and often when the weather is nice will lay in the paddock with the chickens and ducks wandering among them.I have even seem the chickens peck their tails, they just ignore them :P Good luck.
Becca

Post by Becca »

Thanks. My brother has a lab and he just loves to chase my chickens (he doesn't live with hens, so part of it is novelty!) - I am hoping that if I do an early introduction when I get my dog they will get used to each other!

I would love to hear from anyone who actually owns a spinone though... Any owners out there? :-)
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

I got a Spinone puppy in November. I am not a hunter nor do I have experience with farm animals so I can't add to how they will work training them to keep away from hens. I know from experience in my "suburban wilderness" that they are bird dogs. She will often point at the robins and is extremely fixated on them when we are outside. Mostly she just watches them intently but if they are very active she barks at them and I know if she wasn't on a leash she'd take off after them in an instant.

What labsrule says about being on the nose is absolutely true. There's no calling Luisa off something willingly when she's caught scent of something. Much of that is her age (she's 6 months old) and the success of our "leave it" training which is still iffy outside. Spinones are very smart, catch on to training quickly, don't like alot of repetition in training, and have a tendency to be stubborn. Luisa isn't too stubborn, she loves to please, but there are times where I have to wait her out for some basic commands. I think she's at that stage where she's testing me. :D

Spinones can be timid, too. So positive reinforcement training and early socialization are a must. If my experience with the breed is anything to go by, you will have moments of absolute frustration offset by moments of hilarity at their antics. They truly can be clowns.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

I forgot to mention that I do have 2 cats and Luisa's not great with them but I think that's because they're still working out cohabitating even after 4 months together. She really just wants to play with them (at least she started out that way) but they want nothing to do with her. If she gets close, they run, which then entices her to chase them which is not what they were after. I keep her tethered when we're all in the same room and the cats have escape routes for when she's too interested in them. Otherwise a "leave it" is keeping her from fixating on them too much. When she's tired she doesn't pay much attention to them but if I haven't been able to walk her enough, she does want to annoy them more than usual.

Also, if there are any spinone owners here, I'm curious as to how vocal your dogs are. Luisa has taken to growling lately but it happens when she wants attention and does not seem like an aggressive growl but a doggie equivalent of rumbly grumbling. It actually makes me laugh. She usually barks when I come home from work but I ignore her until she's quiet. Sometimes before she goes quiet she will growl as if she's saying "she never listens to me what's a dog to do." It sounds more like a way of talking. Coupled with her goofy scruffy face and her looking up through her eyebrows it's amusing.
Vicky+Oakley

Post by Vicky+Oakley »

my german pointer oakley has a best mate called max who is an italian spinnone.....
These scruffy mutts are the most characterful dogs i think i have come across....watch out for those dopey eyes and hurtful expressions ;) lol
they are fab dogs and i love them....i would have one myself as they are so loyal, obedient although can be very talkative but unfortunatly my eczma doesnt agree with his fur :'( anyway lol they are fab with cats he lives with two (although one has just died and he actually showed signs of missing him) and as long as you have the leave it command under full control he'll be fine....also once he realises that its not a take away its permanent he will just grow used to them and main livestock and horses, well max is very cautious of the horses nearby whereas oakley just ignores them, he will touch noses but then jump backwards so bigger stuff like that i doubt he will annoy...depends on breeding too and his parents, and also i have always had gundogs and tbh i havent ever had problems in that respect but you do have to love having cuddles and gonna live in the house i presume? but you will have to set some boundaries not sure what your like with that and deffo take them on about 3 good walks a day as they are fairly high energy!!! good luck and enjoy they are fantastic dogs!!! xx
minkee

Post by minkee »

I think Spinones sound brilliant. I mean, take this Temperament summary (from wiki):
The Spinone is easy going, docile, and affectionate towards both people and dogs. It is well known for being loving and gentle with children. Its extremely patient nature also helps with this, but children should be taught not to take advantage of this trait. It is loyal to those it knows and still friendly to those it does not. The breed is not known for any aggression and is therefore not a wise choice for somebody looking for an aggressive guard dog.
Centuries of working with man as a hunting companion has created a loyal, intelligent dog that is easily trained, although some can be stubborn about performing a learned task if they see no point in it. Because they are sensitive, motivational training works best for this breed, as this gentle creature's feelings can easily be hurt when handled incorrectly.
The Spinone can be a very active breed, but it is not a racy dog like most other hunting breeds. The Spinone typically moves at the relaxed trot that is characteristic of the breed. It has often been called the perfect dog to run or jog with, because it will not run off in front and leave its human companion struggling to keep up as it prefers the slower pace itself.[citation needed] It can be more than happy in a small yard and does not necessarily need acres of land. The small garden combined with regular walks would suit a Spinone well.
Sounds great, right? I'm just not sure if I could handle this part:
In part due to its long beard and lip folds, the Spinone can have a tendency to slobber.
ImageImage
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

In part due to its long beard and lip folds, the Spinone can have a tendency to slobber.
I was very tempted by Spinones until I read
One shake of that magnificent head and suddenly your ceiling has stalactites of slobber
:lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

JudyN wrote:
I was very tempted by Spinones until I read
One shake of that magnificent head and suddenly your ceiling has stalactites of slobber
:lol:
Let me just say that as a Mastiff dogsitter, this is true for Zeus! Blergh. I couldn't deal with that much slobber in my own dog! ;) He's sweet, but no thank you!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Liv

Post by Liv »

We regularly look after an Italian Spinone for a client. He is the most laid back lovely easy boy. HOWEVER, as easy as he is in the house, as easy as he is to walk, as lovely natured as he is the slobber gets everywhere. I have to shampoo the sofas and wash down the walls as soon as he leaves.
Poor old boy, its not his fault. He is gorgeous, but the drool is breath taking. :lol: :lol:
spettadog

Post by spettadog »

Hi there

I've just registered and came across your post.

I just wanted to say that while I don't own a Spinone, I own 2 Bracchi italiani girls - the short haired version of Spinone some people say but I beg to differ.

My bracchi are very laid back girls in the house - in fact Ruby is so laid back to the point that it's just ridiculous....lol Out and about they are somewhat different and very hunt motivated. I have worked them and they are definitely bird dogs through and through. The Spinone that I know do tend to be somewhat less "birdy" but most of them are show type. The breed generally is very biddable and easy to train although I do have to agree about the slobber. My girls aren't too bad because they're short coated but I couldn't be doing with the beard being full of water. I have a lovely "alternative breed standard" which is very fitting to the Bracco and the Spinone. I'll find it and post it up.

I would imagine that a show type bred Spinone would be able to live better with chickens than a working bred dog. There are some health issues also relating to the Spinone that should be taken into account before purchase. So please make sure you do your homework and go to a good breeder.

All in all though lovely dogs!

Spettadog xx
The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

spettadog wrote:I've just registered and came across your post.

I just wanted to say that while I don't own a Spinone, I own 2 Bracchi italiani girls - the short haired version of Spinone some people say but I beg to differ.
Welcome to the forum!

Coincidentally, I was down the beach today and saw three beautiful dogs. My first thought was that they looked a little like foxhounds, but you don't often see them kept as pets (and checking back, the ears are very different!). Then I overheard the owner say 'Bracchi' and I remembered this thread. They really did look like cracking dogs :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
spettadog

Post by spettadog »

Thank you Judy N. Yes they are a fantastic breed - but not for the faint hearted!! lol

How do I post pics? I'd love to share them.....

Thanks a bundle.

From Bonnie Scotland

Annie x
minkee

Post by minkee »

There's some good instructions on how to post photos in this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=623

I do adore the spinones, I just can't handle the slobber! Bracchi look wonderful too.
spettadog

Post by spettadog »

http://www.braccoitalianoscotland.co.uk/

Here's a link to my beautiful dogs on my website.

I hope you enjoy. You can see the alternative breed standard there.

Annie x