Grooming Equipment

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

Grooming Equipment

Post by AliceGrimm »

I am not sure how much you guys are allowed to advise on this topic...
But I was hoping you guys could suggest items a person needs when they are going to groom their own dog.
I was also hoping for suggestions of items that work well.

Like.. I need a shaver that has a ten blade and perhaps a seven blade. And I am not sure where the line is between more expensive because it doesn't over heat as quickly, or is just over expensive because it is a brand name. Not that more inexpensive ones are no good. But I really would like some advice.

Also.. any suggestions on how to clean and maintain equipment. I know I will probably have to find a blade sharpener for the scissors.. or just buy new ones. But there may be certain things you can do to take care of such items. I live in a humid climate.

Thank you!
Erica

Re: Grooming Equipment

Post by Erica »

You would definitely want to check reviews on the clippers and blades before buying them - some clippers burn out quickly, or break if you bump them against something. Some blades are not very sharp, or are brittle and chip easily.

I went with a corded clipper instead of wireless/battery - they just seem to last longer (according to groomers I've talked to) and the cord doesn't get in my way often at all. The only complaint I have is that the outlet I use is loose or something so they'll sometimes just fall out of the wall...but that's my outlet and not the clippers themselves!

As far as blades to buy, I would go with a #10 alone and a set of clipper guards to change the length - with a pet dog, they're good enough and far cheaper! :) You also tend to get a pack for all sorts of different lengths for $10, instead of having to shell out $50 for every single blade.

If you want to buy two blades I'd honestly recommend two #10s so you can swap them out instead of having to wait with nothing to do while they cool down.

For cleaning and maintenance, you'll want a cheap toothbrush with no rubber bits. You use this to flick the hair out from between the clipper teeth when you're done. The clippers should come with some oil and instructions on how/when to use it - mine suggest a couple drops before use, every now and then during use, and then after cleaning the excess hair out after I'm done.

I also love my grooming table. Much easier to groom a dog who's at your level instead of on the floor!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Thank you so much!!!

Yeah. I wasn't sure about the #7. I have seen some people use them. But I feel that cut is too close.
I definitely want to invest in a table. They are so much easier. Especially since I plan to get a smaller dog. lol I can't imagine spending that much time on my knees. I wouldn't be able to get back up. lol

Do you have scissors? If so, how often do you need to get them sharpened?
Erica

Post by Erica »

The #7 is actually going to leave longer fur than the #10 would. Blade numbers are the opposite of what you might think they mean - they use a #30 or #40 prepping for surgeries! But a #10 with a few clip guards should do fine for a pet schnau pattern.

I do have a small pair of scissors that I mainly use for neatening up around his face, so haven't needed to sharpen or replace since I got it. I don't use it often, so I don't know how long one would last between sharpenings if you did use it often! ;) I'll ask around though and get back to you!
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

That makes sense! When I see people doing schnauzer cuts most use the #10. Only one did I see them use a #7.

Thank you so so much!!

Do you guys happen to know any good shampoos for keeping white furr white?
I hear that it depends on the water and savlia and some genes, but sometimes the beards get muddy colored.
Annabellam

Post by Annabellam »

I know it isn't a grooming table, but I got this http://www.petstreetmall.com/Booster-Bath/10044/1279/ a while ago because my back was giving me fits bending over the tub. Its been great for bathing but I'm not sure how well it would work with the hair trimming since it has those side walls.
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

I think it could make some areas a little bit more difficult! But I am not sure. Looks like a nice tub though. I can't say for sure though. I suppose how much room you have and how you can maneuver yourself and the pup. Also, I am not sure if the dog could use more things to fight you, or would be scared of being so surrounded.
Erica

Post by Erica »

The tub would be a pain to clip a dog in :) Great idea for baths, though!