Cording a Poodle

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: Cording a Poodle

Post by Erica »

Final pictures:

They still don't photograph too well!

Took a pic of half-shorn Delta surrounded by castoff cords.

And the final groom:

I was able to save part of his beautiful topknot, but only from in front of his ears forward, which looked a bit ridiculous so I cried and trimmed it down again. It's lopsided in this picture but I fixed that! As soon as I have time, I'm giving him a water-only bath and using the high-velocity dryer to try to get those last little nubs of cords to separate, then go over him with a short clipper guard so he's a little more even. Bit of a mess he is, right now.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I adore his fluffy Ugg boots :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I have to admit, I missed the point of this experiment... is it to make him better looking, or is there more to it, some other benefits for him?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I imagine once the cords are set it's less work?

Also i love his grumpy old man eyebrows :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

Judy -- I love the boots too :) So fashionable, haha!

Ari -- If he's corded, once it's set, it's easy to groom him while sitting on the couch or whatever without having to get a comb, so I could do a little bit here and there throughout the day without having to get him up on the grooming table for half an hour every evening. I also like the way they look. I wanted to start because he really does not like having his tail brushed out, so I thought cording would be less annoying for him on that. I was right -- he is more tolerant of cord maintenance on his tail than brushing it -- but he is of the opposite opinion for the rest of his body. Doesn't mind being brushed, but just recently he started being bothered by separating the cords. He hadn't shown any dislike before this, except when I tugged on his fur wrong or whatever (which can also happen with normal brushing). Even then it was a single lip lick and a tiny head turn towards my hands.

As far as I'm aware, there's not any known benefit/detriment of cords vs brushed coats. I had heard of a couple corded poodles having trouble with the cords on their ears getting caught and pulling enough to cause a small wound, so I had decided to shave his ears once it got warm. Not going to be a problem now, though! The rest of the body seems to have stronger skin, because I haven't heard of that happening anywhere but on the ears.

Shalista -- yeah, the cords are a lot of maintenance at first, but less and less as they mature. A few months ago I would be going through his coat with scissors and breaking up mats at least every evening. The past few weeks it's just casual searching for cords that had joined up and gently pulling them apart, as they weren't strongly connected yet.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14