Dog shedding.

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

brakallie1

Dog shedding.

Post by brakallie1 »

I have a "Lab" type breed. I'm sure he has another breed of two in him. Brodie is alittle over 3 yrs old. He as many dog do, sheds. I have tried (all) the combs ect. to get his loose hair out. The many different combs have done a great job, however this guys never stops shedding.
My question is, is there a different method I am not trying?
I believe what I will do in the next couple days is have his hair (trimmed) in a labador type of style.
I appreciate any and all coments concerning this.

Sincerely,
Brad
Maxy24

Re: Dog shedding.

Post by Maxy24 »

The first question I have is what brand of food are you feeding? Sometimes excessive shedding is due to poor skin and coat caused by a poor diet.

Have you tried a rubber brush? Something like this:
http://www.dinodirect.com/wholesale-gro ... r-dog.html

I find those work great on animals with short hair (I'm assuming he has Lab type coat...correct me if I'm wrong) because with any sort of comb or pin brush the bristles just move around the hairs, they don't pull on them. The rubber bristles provides friction that pulls the dead hair out. Thorough daily brushing will really be your best defense. Getting the dog clipped won't decrease shedding (though the groomer may get most of the dead hair out in the process), it'll just make the hairs that come out smaller.
brakallie1

Post by brakallie1 »

Thanks for your fast responce. I will look into the better (coat) dog food.
I will give the rubber brush a shot as well.

Again, thanks,

Brad
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

If you intend to have a dog with a labrador type short coat, clipped... please DON'T..

One of the downsides of this type of coat is that it DOES tend to shed quite a lot, and sheds short needley hairs that work their way into your soft furnishings.... if you clip it, you will firstly ruin the insulating/water repellent properties of a double coat, and secondly the dog will STILL shed just as much but the hairs will be shorter and spikier and be harder to remove from your home.

Its also highly likely that once clipped, as the hair grows back it will grow back softer and it will pick up and hold onto dirt much more easily, for some reason clipping does tend to do this.

Brush your dog well with a stiff bristle brush, an undercoat rake and a rubber brush (even try a rubber glove) to remove excess undercoat and old, dead, top coat. Feed a good quality ideally grain free food as well, as low quality foods can often cause problems.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

I have a mixed breed with a similar coat type and who a couple times a year sheds her top coat. If I use any of my border collies brushes or combs on her it doesn't get the fur off. I have had the most luck with a rubber curry brush. You will be amazed how much dead fur will come off and her coat looks so much better after. During the spring I have to do this a couple times a week for a month, the rest of the year she sheds very little. I would try a rubber curry brush, I use Kongs zoom groom but any type would work.
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

As far continuous shedding there are some breeds who shed all year round, and it might get worse in spring and fall. The best thing you can do is brush the dog at least once a week, how often do you brush? Cutting the dogs coat will not stop shedding. I agree that the quality of food also plays a large part in coat quality and shedding. But some dogs just shed a lot. My dogs both shed year round so I brush them once in awhile, but they are really bad in spring and fall. For example both my dogs will produce a pile of hair if I brush them out in the spring, but only a handfull or less when I brush the rest of the year. Is this the same for your dog or does it shed a lot all year? I would look into changing the food if the problem is bad, but best managment is finding a brush for your dogs coat type and brush it once a week to prevent shedding.
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

is your dog blowing it's coat? i brush my dog 3 times a week or more.
when i brush him i brush him in all directions. brushing often helps
with the shedding. becareful about trimming your dogs coat. their
coat protects them from heat and cold.