Stripping a Border Terrier

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Flyby

Stripping a Border Terrier

Post by Flyby »

My Terrier Pippin really doesn't like being stripped.

Pull out a couple of tufts, and he's already mouthing your hands, fighting the urge to bite. He's a good wee soul, but stripping clearly hurts and he really doesn't like it.

It seems pointless to risk all the positive reinforcement progress and lose the trust by stripping him in spite of his protests, and for the same reason, I don't want to let a dog groomer at him, because they'd have to sedate him I reckon, and look out for their fingers because I reckon he would get nasty if they didn't stop. I don't want to go there.

He's 2, and up til now I've got by thinning his coat with a grooming comb, but it's not the same as stripping.

Does anybody know of something to take the edge off the pain? I've had terriers before, but not one as blue as Pippin, and the black hair is finer than the usual bristles in a brindle coat, and quite clearly it does hurt to strip it out.

I'm not sure whats the best thing to do. I've tried stripping a few hairs at a time, but he's still reacting.

Any advice or experience out there?
bendog

Re: Stripping a Border Terrier

Post by bendog »

Can't help I'm afraid, Ben (and Poppy soon) get stripped by a groomer, but with at my Nans house which they know well, and with me there.

I can't say Ben enjoys it, but he puts up with it just fine, and is always happy to see the groomer which I take as a sign he isn't too traumatised by it. His face, tail and paws are the only bits that seem sensitive. Elsewhere on his body I can pull on his hair quite hard and he doesn't seem bothered, and he'll stay still for the groomer.

I've no experience of personally stripping my dogs myself, but I'm sure it isn't meant to hurt. Then again, Ben has virtually no black hair, so I don't know. Poppy is a Lakeland, and mostly black, but she's had a quick stand and strip and was fine with it, so seems like perhaps Pip just has sensitive skin.

Lots of treats I reckon might help. When I have to put ear drops in Sash, or clean her ears, I tend to stand her on the counter and give her a plate or pan to lick to keep her occupied whilst I do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Can I ask why stripping is necessary, and why the dog can't keep the coat nature intended him to have and just be groomed? That's not meant to sound like a criticism - I'm just curious.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

So am I to a point JudyN.

Lots of people advise me it improves the condition of the coat, keeping it warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Terriers do look tidier once their stripped, but I'm not convinced by the need on grounds of health and welfare.

The coat is dense, but not that dense, and many animals cope with coats I'd imagine were much more uncomfortable.

I think the theory goes that terriers are bred for thick bristly coats to help avoid bites from vermin reaching flesh, and that such a coat is now too dense for comfort so it's a good idea to thin it out. Again, I'm really not convinced.

Most terriers around here do get stripped, so Pippin does look like a bit of hippy terrier, but he's a happy hippy.

I'd be completely happy to strip him or have him stripped, but first I need convinced it can be done without hurting him. I've spoken to one vet who says there are some tranquilisers like valium which might help, but they'd need to be correctly dozed. I still don't like the idea, but at the moment it's either do nothing, or perhaps try the valium.

I'm not prepared to hurt my dog for nothing. Stripping perhaps isn't nothing in that sense, but that's my dilema and why I need advice. It's not being a woose. Previous terriers have been quite content to stand and be stripped, but Pippin reacts differently.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

This sounds like one for Nettle to me :D

I found this which suggests that the coat will indicate when it's ready http://www.eabtc.co.uk/the-border-terri ... r-terrier/
Maybe he's not ready when you've tried? It says stripping is just removing the dead hair of the top coat so if I had to guess I'd say if not done he may become less waterproofed as the dead root needs to be removed so the new one can grow.

It also says that most groomers don't know how to properly strip a border (this doesn't surprise me as I've got friends with dogs who are ill after they've been stripped they find it that stressful :shock: ).

So maybe get trained to do it properly yourself (and then he may not get as agitated?) or find a groomer who really knows their stuff (I personally am not a big fan of groomers generally though and after a couple of less than desirable incidents getting Ted's nails clipped I learnt to do it myself).

Edited to add: Nothing wrong with sporting a hippy look, as a child of the 70s myself I will always love my flares :wink:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

That makes some sense ClareMarsh. I've not been looking for signs of being ready to strip, but working with the weather seasons.

It does make sense, but then again, you could tell quite easily when my other terriers were casting, just by the amount of hairs everywhere, but Pippin doesn't really seem to cast the same way, or at least if he does it's a lot harder to discern.

That description is Pippin though, "one of the few with a long but sparse top coat, often blue and tans". That's ma boy!

I think I'll order her DVD though. That's a good find ClareMarsh, thank you very much.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

My pleasure FlyBy, I was interested in the why they need to be stripped part so went off looking :D And do call me Clare, I really didn't think through my username when I joined, I was too focussed on getting help :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

Love that link Clare, I knew they needed stripping to keep the coat waterproof (and vet commented how lovely and thick Bens coat is) - Poppys is even thicker and water just rolls off it!
I'd like to learn to do it myself, since Pop will need hand stripping too (though slightly different style for Lakies) and it will get expensive.

This quote from that webpage made me laugh
A Border should never be bathed unless in a dire emergency, like rolling in a cowpat

Good to know what consistutes a "dire emergency"

Flyby - I get Ben stripped roughly every 3 - 6 months so between 2 and 4 times a year. For a guideline, this is about the longest his coat ever gets
minkee

Post by minkee »

What is that thing next to him! It's far too cute to be a Poppymonster :P
bendog

Re: Sigh, that was difficult

Post by bendog »

Don't be fooled by the cuteness. It is indeed a popmonster :D

Shes as big as/taller than him now.