Nail clippers

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Nail clippers

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's nail clippers are actually the cat's :oops: I'm only a weakling and sometimes I end up squeezing them with both hands which means I don't have a hand to hold his foot steady (fortunately he only ever needs the middle two on his front feet clipped, and he's OK about having them done). Any recommendations for replacement nail clippers, please? I'm assuming that as we've been managing with cat nail clippers, I don't need anything too fancy :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Re: Nail clippers

Post by Ari_RR »

Nail clippers work fine on the cat for us.... But I can't imagine using them with Ari.
Here is our manicure/pedicure procedure...
Preparations:
- Need 2 humans and 1 dog
- Human # 1 (me) is the Treat Man, and has in his possession cheese or some other delicacy (need a lot of small pieces, in a bag)
- Human # 2 (OH) is the Manicurist, and has in her possession a fully charged dremmel

Procedure:
1. Get the dog on his favorite sofa, in the "down" position, this shouldn't be very difficult with most dogs
2. Treat Man has a bag of sliced delicacies in one had, and one slice inside the closed fist
3. Stick the fist under dog's nose - the dog should start working on getting the treat from the fist. Essentially, your fist becomes a puzzle toy with the tasty treat inside, for the dog to get to. This may be a bit painful, especially if the dog doesn't mind biting.
4. Treat Man lets the dog reach the treat in 15-20 sec, then quickly gets another one from the bag and voila! The "puzzle fist" is reloaded with a new treat and ready for the dog.
5. While Treat Man occupies the dog with his "puzzle fist", Manicurist works on the dog's nails...
6. If the dog pulls his leg away from the Manicurist, the Treat Man pulls the "puzzle fist" away from the dog.

It's possible, I guess, to use nail clippers instead of dremmel.... But I feel that it's safer with dremmel.

Good luck

p.s. To be on the safe side - have peroxide and bandages ready, in case the dog decides that brutal force is the easiest approach to getting the treat from the "puzzle fist" of the Treat Man.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I got the clippers I got because they came with a tube of stop-bleeding-powder (idk what it's called oops ;) )...though I have had to replace the blade twice so far. I wish it didn't get dull so quickly...

I do think that getting dog clippers will make it easier to clip his nails! Either that or changing/sharpening the blade.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Wes

Post by Wes »

I'm very picky when it comes to nail clippers. Anything too thick for a handle I can't use for some reason. http://www.petco.com/product/104101/Fou ... ipper.aspx is the only clipper style I can use comfortably.
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Ari_RR made me laugh - I also use a dremel with a sanding wheel to do Charley's nails (his are all black and I can't see the quick at all). He's not very thrilled about the process, so it helps to have my OH around with the bribes (he uses "watch me" instead of risking losing a hand :lol: ) but I can do them on my own. I feel a lot better knowing that I won't cut into his quick. I've only made his nails bleeding twice in the yr+ of dremelling, and those times he barely flinched (I held pressure on the nail and the bleeding stopped soon after).

I found the link in this post really helpful: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8956&p=62166&hilit=dremel#p62166