Stripping Equipment

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

Stripping Equipment

Post by AliceGrimm »

I know this is going to be a difficult question here, but I was hoping you guys could help.

I was wonder if you had preferred brands of stripping knives and carding knives. I am hoping you can tell me which seem to work best, or had features you like, or felt most comfortable in your hands. I was also wondering what other equipment you would need. I am told.. there are two different types of stones and I was curious if you would do hand plucking and the stones on puppies, but I am still learning.

I also live in the USA.. so something on websites or amazon would work well to purchase.

Thank you guys so much!!!
emmabeth

Re: Stripping Equipment

Post by emmabeth »

Sorry to be a bit useless - I really don't have prefered brands - what I do is go along to a big store or a big dog show with lots of groomers trade stands and get hands on, handle the equipment.

I really only use a stripping knife and my fingers, so I just pick whats comfy for me and whats the right shape/size for the dog (I have a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen now and shes needed finer stuff than my old terrier did!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

emmabeth wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 am Sorry to be a bit useless - I really don't have prefered brands - what I do is go along to a big store or a big dog show with lots of groomers trade stands and get hands on, handle the equipment.

I really only use a stripping knife and my fingers, so I just pick whats comfy for me and whats the right shape/size for the dog (I have a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen now and shes needed finer stuff than my old terrier did!).
You are not useless. I just wanted some ideas. I don't see many groomer shows. But um.. is there anything else people need when grooming ups. I know a comb and a brush and some scissors. I just wasn't sure if I was missing some items.

Also.. what type of tooth paste should I buy? Any ingredients to watch out for?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It depends on the breed really..

SO for my wirey rough coated Grand Basset - she has her coat stripped along the top of her body and down the sides and then the legs are left longer, strip under/behind the ears but leave her face/beard long, tidy up the throat and chest.... so all the areas where im going from shorter to longer coat I use the stripping blade to help blend that transition.

I have a pair of thinning scissors the ones with the teeth on the blade for anything I need to cut as that gives a nicer more natural outline (around the paws and under the tail is all, Grands are really natural in the UK though theres a lot of breeds in the US are groomed much more heavily!).

I think really for any breed with a coat (ie not a super smooth dog) you can't go wrong with a pin brush (no bobbles on the pins) of a medium size that fits your hand, and then a fine comb, a small pair of scissors for trimming between pads and a pair of thinners, and then whichever variety of stripping knife.

I am cheap so I get the cheapest stripping knives i can as I lose them all the time - Show Tech are a good budget brand but Mikki do a double sided stripping knife you can use with either hand.

I wouldn't go crazy buying expensive brands like Aaronco or Aesculap until you know what you prefer really!
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Thank you!!! I really appreciate this. I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you!! I get distracted and wonder about. lol

I think you are right. I should find things that are cheap until I know what exactly I like. So.. pin brushes but no bobbles.. Would slicker brushes do well?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I've never found slicker brushes to be tolerated well by the dog OR easy on the groomers wrists to be honest with you. Also they are either skimming along the top of the coat and not getting right down to the skin or they DO get down to the skin and then make the dog sore!

There is one kind I like the look of though, having said all that, and I forget the brand name but they are on a super flexible base - I just googled and there are now lots of companies making this, its usually called a dual sized flexible or universal slicker, and it look (And I have handled one but not used it on a dog) like it would be MUCH easier on the groomers wrists.. however my concerns about the dogs skin remain the same - plus these things are around the £15 mark for the budget kind!

As ever, try it and see how you get on, but I have never found them useful with dogs (cats, yes! )
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Thank you! I was also worried about how it was on the skin. Is there a brush that you recommend or that you have found that works. Or do you just stick to combs. I am sorry for the late reply!

I am having a difficult time finding truly rounded scissors. I mean some have the outside rounded but they just need that extra roundness where the blades end, instead of that point.