Fatal dog bites share common factors

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ClareMarsh

Fatal dog bites share common factors

Post by ClareMarsh »

Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Re: Fatal dog bites share common factors

Post by JudyN »

There's some dodgy logic in this one:
#3: The dog is not spayed or neutered (84.4%)

There are many reasons why spaying and neutering is important, but this might be the top one. In almost 85 percent of cases, the dogs responsible for fatal attacks on humans were unaltered. Be a smart, responsible owner and spay or neuter your dogs, or properly manage your dog if you prefer not to have them altered. You lessen the chance of your dog being the perpetrator of a fatal attack, and your dogs will be happier and healthier as a result.
I would suggest that it's not being neutered that makes a dog less likely to attack, but that a large percentage of people who can't or won't raise, train, manage and care for their dog properly are less likely to get that dog neutered, particularly if they want the dog to look big, butch, mean and macho.

Assuming I'm right, it's a pity if responsible dog owners think this is a reason to neuter their dog at an early age.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
gwd

Post by gwd »

I really would like to read the javma article but I'd rather not pay the $30 pay per view for 24 hours of access. :|

I do wish Victoria wasn't such a neuter Nazi.........at least this time she kind of threw a bit of a bone out about managing entires.......yet there was still the statement about responsible owners s/n. :x
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Judy, I strongly suspect if you went out and collected data your hypothesis would stand up. The reason I suspect this would be the case is because of the heavy message that has "programed" people to think you just spay/neuter as part of a check list for being "responsible" ....

1. get shots...check
2. put down water..check
3. train...check
4. spay/neuter...check

that kind of thing. the irresponsible are as you suspect often not doing more than just not spaying and neutering.

The other reason...the growing collection of papers and articles that range from observations to studies showing that spay and neuter doesn't deliver on it's promises beyond birth control, OR for every "benefit" there is a corresponding negative.

I am also in the process of reading a almost 60 page paper written by by a couple PhD's out of the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania

here is just one sentence early in the paper "Contrary to popular belief, the study found little evidence that castration was an effective treatment for aggressive behavior in male dogs, and may exacerbate other behavioral problems".

So, if the paper is sound, i will share more on it later. But right off the bat just that sentence alone seems to go along with other papers I have been reading. But EVEN not reading any scientific papers...how many times do we read a opening post here....Hi, my dog is X breed, spay/neutered and his having aggression problems....it boggles the mind how not more alarm bells aren't going off and more people aren't demanding we take a second look at spay and neuter from top to bottom and at the very least change how we go about it.

GWD, just find another source that lets you either read it for 24 hours on line OR download it for later reference. I only pay the money if I can download it.