Help. My new puppy keeps waking my son up

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Butsies

Help. My new puppy keeps waking my son up

Post by Butsies »

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum. We recently brought home a new puppy. At first he was fine and quiet all night in his crate(we leave it open but just shut the living room door) but the last few nights he wakes me up crying and no matter how or what i try i end up having to sleep in the living room so he doesnt wake my 2 year old son. Ive tried exercising him etc before bed and even leaving a tv on but nothing works once hes started. Can anyone help? :?
Ari_RR

Re: Help. My new puppy keeps waking my son up

Post by Ari_RR »

Sorry I don't have any good suggestions.. Perhaps others will.
But in my experience - puppy needing company is normal, you sleeping with the puppy is normal, this whole thing is perfectly normal! Although, undoubtedly, a bit inconvenient...
Another good thing about sleeping next to the puppy, or puppy sleeping next to you, is that you hear him when he needs to go out during the night and can garb him and run outside - good for training him to only go the bathroom outside.

Lack of sleep is also normal with the puppy ;-). If you had joined before getting him, I would have advised you get as much sleep as possible before his arrival.

Must be hectic in your household! Perhaps you can share this assignment (sleeping next to the puppy) with other family members?

Or, hopefully, someone else here will have some good ideas, so stay tuned :wink:
minkee

Re: Help. My new puppy keeps waking my son up

Post by minkee »

Try reposting this in the 'Dog Training Advice' section, you will have more people see it :)