Sterilization over de-sexing.

Valuable training articles posted by Victoria and other Positively members.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Sterilization over de-sexing.

Post by minkee »

I found this link via Suzanne Clothier, this is what she has to say:
For a long time (10+ years?), I've been advocating sterilization vs. neutering. Slowly, the science is catching up with this point of view which has not been terribly popular, at least in the circles in which I run.
This article by Dr. Karen Becker is a good solid explanation of how and why she had a change of heart on this hot button topic. (There are many other articles out there, I just happened to find this one particularly well written, thoughtful & supported by a number of articles.)
Please understand - like Dr. Becker, I am NOT advocating indiscriminate breeding, and do recognize overpopulation of unwanted animals. I am asking folks to consider that hormones serve many purposes (ask any menopausal woman!), and that we can avoid many health problems by allowing our animals to keep their hormones as Nature intended, but sterilizing them so that sperm & egg cannot connect.
Hoping I live long enough to see vasectomies & hysterectomies (not ovario-hysterectomies) become the norm, not the unusual. I think our dogs will benefit in many ways from that shift.
and this is the article in question: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... risks.aspx
Nettle

Re: Sterilization over de-sexing.

Post by Nettle »

Thanks Minkee - food for thought as always. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Re: Sterilization over de-sexing.

Post by gwd »

clearly i'm a big fan of dr becker. I've posted a number of her articles. she seems to have a lot of common sense.