Episode 305 - Rocky Road - (Feb 5)

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Episode 305 - Rocky Road - (Feb 5)

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria helps apathetic pet owners stop the finger pointing and start taking responsibility for their dangerously neurotic dog.

Post your questions for Victoria about this episode here.
BoardHost
nicosmom

Re: Episode 305 - Rocky Road - (Feb 5)

Post by nicosmom »

Loved the show last night. Did Dr. Dodman write a prescription to curb the spinning? I would have thought he did so your training would be effective? But then again -maybe by making sure he got exercised everyday - it stopped on it's own?
(I don't think so though?)

Love your show.
Shrtsassyblonde

Post by Shrtsassyblonde »

I have a 3 pound yorkie that has a lot of anxiety when someone comes into our office. I have watched, and taped the shows over and over trying to figure out if any of these skills will work. He goes nuts and acts agressive when someone comes in the office door. Our office is like a house and they just walk in. He barks at them like he's going to eat them up!! I can relate to this family!! Frustration and concern.
zdogsmom

Post by zdogsmom »

It must be frustrationg to deal with people that want an instant fix for their dog(s) rather than working to understand and help them. I was happy to see the family finally stepped up to the plate to make an effort to exercise and work with their dog. How long does it take for you to analyze the dog's behavior before you're able to start working with it?
riggysmom

Post by riggysmom »

I am hoping you are able to follow up on these people, say in 6 months or so... Seems like they will not keep up the work with Rocky- They seemed too lazy and uncommitted! Perhaps the best thing for him would be to rehome him in a place where he would get what he needs for the rest of his life...
Neeksmom

Post by Neeksmom »

I just want to thank you for such a great show, I've taken the advice you've given others and the results are fantastic. Although my counter surfing beagle is another story. But she's only 23 lbs not 50 lbs like the one who had to go to fat camp. I wish you all the best and hope the show continues for a longtime.

Patty Cipriani
Neeksmom

Post by Neeksmom »

Did something happen off camera to finally make the family stop arguing and start working together? I felt like you were a referee between the mom and girls. Even though she bought the dog for the girls she must have known that they were young and that would be alot of responsiblity for them without adult supervision. I would never wait for my son or husband to to anything for my dogs, I wake up at let them out before I even use the bathroom. I'm glad you were able to help them and Rocky will have a much fuller and enjoyable life.
thayeso

Post by thayeso »

Hi Victoria,

AWESOME EPISODE!!! YOU DID A AWESOME JOB!!! I LEARNED A LOT. YOU'RE THE DOGGIE DUDE!!! 8)

Tammy Hayes
Simonsmom

Post by Simonsmom »

How did you deal with the biting? Also, did the family have to medicate him, or were the problems solved with proper exercise?
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

At the end of the show Rocky was spinning less however you had told owners to put the crate in his spinning spot & that he might like to stay in it as his safe zone. Why wasn't the crate there? And it is well known that lavender is a calming scent wouldn't it have been advisable to have a lavender scented pillow placed in the crate too?

DId Rocky finally get meds? if so what was it?

How often was the man going to take Rocky out to play & run? As soon as it gets cold I'm sure he would stop taking him.

I blame the disharmony all on the mother.
1) Any responsible mother knows that care of an animal ultimately falls on the parents. Yes children need to be given some responsibility & that is not negotiable It the adults who see to it that the animals are fed, walked, trained, given vet care, etc.
2) She was lazy and unrealistic. So she caved in & in doing so she owed it t the dog to ensure it has a happy life, not shove it all on the girls & never do anything for the dog.

Well it was good to see that there was an improvement. However this family totally needs to be revisited.Rocky may be ready to start focus games such as watch me, as he improves.
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

This episode really opened my eyes about how imPortant it is to exercise your dogs.( Mentioned this on facebook) we have 2 border collies it's annoying that my mom dad or sister won't help me walk them. I'm 14. Sadly they're not getting walked very often. But sometimes we let them run in our 2 acre backyard. It's hard to walk them cuz they pull really hard. If u turn the other way they'll just pull u. Doesn't really matter which way ur going. Any advice? Thank u! Great episode last night! <3
spk4dogs

Post by spk4dogs »

This was a very interesting show, because I think this is the first time I have seen you incorporate an Animal Behaviorist along with your training. I think it is noteworthy because people need to see that medication is sometimes necessary but also along with that MUST be behavior modification. Plus the fact that it is a lot of work!
Great Show!
andyspal

Post by andyspal »

Interesting show. It really drove home the concept that dogs need enrichment in their lives, as well as a structured stable daily life. Are Wheaten terriers prone to OCD, or was it just this individual? I think any dog would be stressed with that amount of turmoil in the home.
I'm glad you were able to get the family to focus on their responsibility to their pet.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

nicosmom wrote:Loved the show last night. Did Dr. Dodman write a prescription to curb the spinning? I would have thought he did so your training would be effective? But then again -maybe by making sure he got exercised everyday - it stopped on it's own?
(I don't think so though?)

Love your show.
Yes he did in conjunction with their vet. Rocky had already been on pretty strong meds for a long time. A different prescription, behavior mod and more exercise helped him
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

zdogsmom wrote:It must be frustrationg to deal with people that want an instant fix for their dog(s) rather than working to understand and help them. I was happy to see the family finally stepped up to the plate to make an effort to exercise and work with their dog. How long does it take for you to analyze the dog's behavior before you're able to start working with it?
I get a picture of behavior straight away but after a day of observation I am able to get a much more detailed picture