Episode 202 - House of Horror - Jan 9

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

highlandcollie

Re: Episode 202 - House of Horror - Jan 9

Post by highlandcollie »

Hello Victoria!
You had your hands full with these girls!
It never ceases to amaze me that dog owners have such high expectations and low work ethics! I wanted to slap the smirks off those two girls.
You have much more patience with humans than I. :D
luv all you do.
h.c.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Hello everyone!

I'll be here for the next hour answering questions about last night's episode, House of Horrors.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Can you explain how the potty grass patch worked please?
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

lostsuper_ wrote:Hey,
It is amazing how you did not vomit of the smell. I would of. The three roommates who bought the dogs in Susan's hosue needs to learn how to take care of their pets.That house looked nasty. I don't understand how they can live in there with the condition the hsoue looked.
Yes, it was truly a disgusting place to be before it was cleaned. I, too, have no idea how they could live in that environment, but i've learned not to be surprised by anything I see anymore!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I had to watch this episode while i was eating!
PuggleOwner

Post by PuggleOwner »

Hello, I love your show. I've used the knowledge that I've learned from your show with my own dog. My question is, how do you stand working with people that don't want to listen or follow through with your training?
ajax

Post by ajax »

Hi Victoria,

Can you please tell us the status of what's happened with the situation with the roommates and their dogs to date? Are the dogs currently receiving proper care?
debitot

Post by debitot »

Dear Victoria,
I also have a puppy whom I need to potty train,my problem is I cannot get a leash or collar on him because he bites me. I cannot let him lose because he is only three pounds.I use puppy pads, that only works sometimes.I just don't know what to do. I have posted on here before this one. If you could please help me I would be deeply grateful.
Debbie
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

Esprit64 wrote:Dear Victoria: If during the course of filming your show, you encounter clueless people, who clearly are in denial about the good care of their dog, and despite your best efforts, it seems clear that they will not change their ways thus keeping the dog in jeopardy, what steps would you take to resolve the matter--on the show--and off?
Good question. Basically, my first concern is always for the health, well-being and safety of the dogs, whether I'm shooting an episode of IMOTD or not. I've trained my crew how to handle certain dog situations, and the production company knows that when I say a dog has had enough or that we need to not do something, my say is final.

So when I come across owners who truly seem incapable of providing a responsible living environment for their pets, I take steps to remove the dog from the situation. It's happened very infrequently, and it's obviously a very serious decision, and the vast majority of the owners I encounter aren't guilty of neglect or abuse. Usually, they just need a wakeup call to remind them how silly they're acting with their dogs, and once they're made aware of that, things take a turn for the better.

A couple of the girls in last night's episode were definitely guilty of irresponsible dog ownership, but once the gravity of their actions sunk in, they changed their ways, and the dogs are better off for it.

I have had a few cases, though, where I've felt that an owner's dogs were not in the right place, and I told them that. I obviously have no legal authority to take a dog from someone, but I can give them my professional opinion, and the owners almost always listen. One example of this was last season with Peanut Butter - he's now in a loving shelter environment and continuing to improve while looking for forever home.
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

hi victoria!! amazing episode last night!! :D you did an amazing job improving the relationship between those girls :) i was just wondering, where did you get that little grass box for sara's dog to go in? i thought it was really cool! luv ya victoria!!!!!! your'e the best!!!! <3
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

dontpugme wrote:Can you explain how the potty grass patch worked please?
I put some of the dogs' urine and feces on the grass patch so that they would know that that was the place. Also, they like to go potty outside on grass, and since they only had Sara's room and the balcony to choose from while they were at work, it made the choice to use the grass patch pretty easy for them.
ajax

Post by ajax »

Victoria,

why do you think that these girls shouldn't have been reported to the health department or animal control?
goldenstaples

Post by goldenstaples »

Hi! Victoria,
I was excited to see you redirect the dog with targeting. I use targeting in my class I teach it has so many purposes. it is one of my favorite tools
Tami

Post by Tami »

Dear Victoria,
I am always happy to see how you can help people who seem to have no clue the commitment and time involved in owning a dog. You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge, compassion and skill in turning what seems like an impossible situation into something wonderful. I applaud you every show!
My husband and I lost two dogs last year, Casey (german shephard/rottie mix, rescue, 12yrs old) left us December 14, 2009 and Max (Cairn Terrier 9.5 yrs old) left us August 9, 2009. We recently adopted Mia, a Maltese/Poodle mix who is 5 months old. She is very small, 3.5 pounds and will only be 5 pounds at most when she is grown completely. My questions is: When feeding her she seems to prefer her food to be mixed with something rather than plain kibble. We are feeding her Iams puppy food. The breeder suggested we mix vanilla yogurt, cottage cheese or soft food to keep her interested in eating so she won't become hypo glycemic. We have been doing that and she will eat her food when there is something mixed with it but seems to have little interest in plain kibble.I know that small dogs are prone to have dental problems and I wonder, if I continue mixing soft food with her kibble do I risk her having problems down the line with her teeth because she isn't chewing the hard food and keeping her teeth healthy? We are adjusting her to brushing her teeth in hopes of keeping her teeth healthy. I want to do all I can to help her stay healthy and happy as long as possible and would love to have your thoughts on the best way to keep her interested in eathing but keeping her teeth healthy at the same time. Do you approve of mixing the food long term? I know you've suggested in past shows, but I am unsure if this is ok to do long term.
Thanks so much for any help.
Tami Norman
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

lostsuper_ wrote:Why did Bailey marked all over the house for?What make dogs do that?
What causes dogs to be so aggressive?
Dogs mark so that they can outline their territory by spreading their scent. It's a basic form of competition.

Aggression can be rooted in a lot of different causes, but at a very general level, a lot of aggression stems from fear, insecurity, and a lack of confidence.