My dog is fearful and I don't know what to do. HELP!

Any time new episodes of It’s Me or the Dog are airing on Animal Planet in the US, Victoria will answer questions about that episode later that week. Post your questions to Victoria about the most recent episode here anytime.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ngormley

My dog is fearful and I don't know what to do. HELP!

Post by ngormley »

Hi,

We are owned by a 15 month old Bloodhound named Howler. We have had him in obedience training and we are experiencing some issues that I am hoping you can help us with.

About 6 months ago when we started walking him he started barking and growling at people he had known all his life. We lived in an apartment at the time. Now we recently moved into a house, 4 months ago, and now when we have people over he is growling and barking at them. If we put him in the back yard he will bark and growl and jump on the glass door. He is not aggressive as we have taken him in public and he is fine, though he does get the shaky legs. We do not know how to help him get over this fear and it is breaking our hearts. We socialized him when he was little and still take him places. We started training him as a puppy but just recently got him into a structured 6 week class. Please help us.
WufWuf

Re: My dog is fearful and I don't know what to do. HELP!

Post by WufWuf »

If you post this in the Dog Training Advice section you will get more responses. :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules