Dogs and children

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WendyM

Dogs and children

Post by WendyM »

My son is 11 years old, kind hearted, diligent, responsible and basically makes all the other mothers jealous. My husband and I have decided that he's proven over the last year that he can more than adequately care for and train a dog (with a little help and guidance from his loving parents.)

Our sticking point is breed. We'd like to see him with a dog that is a manageable size for his size, that does not require excessive grooming (or in a pinch can wear a puppy cut in order to keep up with an active boy child), that has an energy level that is on par with his (active but not hyper active), has a long healthy lifespan and also willing to cuddle. My son likes coton du tulears, however they are a little too laid back and a bit too small and fluffy for his liking.

He also wants a dog that will play tug, fetch forever, and do tricks (which makes me lean towards a miniature schnauzer for all but the cuddly bits.)

I'm very open to suggestions, we want to make sure his first dog owning experience is a positive thing for both him and the dog.