Out of character humping

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Out of character humping

Post by JudyN »

I wass walking with Jasper and 1-year-old lurcher Teddy today when we met a 3-year-old neutered male lab. Teddy and the lab played for a bit, then Jasper gave the lab a sniff... and got extremely interested in smelling the lab's boy bits. He then started playing, a bit roughly, but just as I was about to call him it turned into nicer play (a rarity with Jasper). Then he mounted him and started humping :shock:

Jasper has never tried to hump a male dog before. There's only been two occasions when he's tried to mount female - one just out of her season, and the other about 7 months old (though I don't think she had her first season for some time over). So this is very uncharacteristic.

I assume there must be 'something' different about this lab. The person was walking him for someone else so doesn't know him that well. She said he had multiple allergies, including dairy, grass and all trees (pollen, presumably), but as far as she knew he wasn't on any medication. Any thoughts on what might be going on? If it was just an 'I'm the boss' or 'Teddy's MY friend' behaviour, I'd expect him just to be his usual grumpy snarky self.

The poor lad tweaked his back/hip in the process, so after he dismounted he yowled for a couple of minutes until a magic back rub sorted him out.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
emmabeth

Re: Out of character humping

Post by emmabeth »

I would think Mr Labrador has got some sort of infection - blocked anal glands, prostate issues.... something like that going on.... those do produce Interesting Pongs for other dogs.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

'Ooh, you smell like you have a nasty infection in your bits.... I've never felt this way about a boy dog before but that really turns me on.' It doesn't really translate into human thinking, does it? :lol:

As always I'm trying to get inside J's mind, but I'm not sure that's such a good idea in this case...... :mrgreen:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Other dog is unwell - therefore weak - therefore a victim. Like the smelly kid at school getting bullied.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am Other dog is unwell - therefore weak - therefore a victim. Like the smelly kid at school getting bullied.
This was nothing like his normal bullying behaviour though - believe me, I know it well. He was actually nicer to this dog in his play than he would be normally - there wasn't the usual over-the-neck stuff and RAAARRRING and not letting the other dog manouevre. It was the closest to actual play I've seen him do in a long time.

And he was quite obsessively smelling/investigating the other dog's willy. Oh, and J's 'lipstick' was out too which I've never seen when he's bullying another dog (or when he tries to hump me out of overexcitement). It's easy to see the 'nice playing' as a chat-up and conclude there was something sexual about the behaviour. That's not to say it was, but there was something a bit more than bullying going on.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If there are prostate issues, the lab would have smelled peculiar. The allergies and accompanying fungal infections would smell odd too. Whether like-an-on-heat-female I couldn't say as I'm not a dog :lol: You know your dog better than anyone, and I wasn't there, but usually the response to a sick weak funny-smelling dog isn't sexual as such. However, given the unusual play style.....

When entire male dogs suss out if a female is receptive, it is quite cautious and rather like an old-fashioned dance in its back-and-forwardness, with plenty of gentle head-over and weight testing, ear licking and tail-quivering. But of course as Jas isn't entire either, he could be one minute the boysie-play and next the switch is thrown and instinct takes over. It's interesting.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sure - normally I'd say humping was a bullying/overexcited behaviour rather than sexual, but I know what's normal for Jasper. It would be very interesting, though a very bad idea, to introduce him to a female dog in season and compare his response. Though I suspect his manners would be a little better and that he was influenced by the fact that the other dog was male, even if he did smell intriguing.