The monster I created

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

The monster I created

Post by Shalista »

Not a PROBLEM, just another of Bax's many quirks, so I'm posting it here.

At the end of last year Bax started flopping on me. Only on bright sunny days, but mid walk he'd suddenly flop onto his side and stretch himself out in the grass. He did it a few times on our walk by the road side. I confess that i unfortunately encouraged this a little bit. it was just so nice to lay in the grass and give him belly rubs.

Skip ahead to THIS summer. for the past few days we've had nice weather, not quite shorts weather but warm enough for a tee shirt for sure. Lately Bax has started flopping mid walk. he goes into it like hes going to roll in something nasty but then he just stops on his side with his eyes fluttering shut and his snout wiggling in the sun. I tried calling to him, nothing, not even the most chipper, "Lets go Bax!" would budge him. I confess i tried dragging him to get him on his feet. Nope, just slid right along on his side. I tried picking him up by his harness, that would get him going.... for a few feet.,.. and then plop down he'd go. Of course I tried waiting him out to, I stood next to him for so long I got sun burn. Whenever cars drove by I'd drag him off to the side of the road by the gravel. that got us a few looks and even an offer for water in case he'd gotten heat stroke. the problem is that its really not that hot out. it's currently 72F (22C...ish). I've put the back of my hand on the pavement, I've felt his paws as he stretches out with a relaxed sigh.... its not to hot for him!

....but then i remembered. My dog is a heat addict. all winter long I've put a heater out for him, even on days were its warm, and he'll lay next to it all day long. his heater is his babysitter and he'd rather sit next to it then play with all the toys in the world. he'll be panting with bug eyes, even occasionally vomiting, rather then leave his heater. He'll bask in sunbeams if there are no heaters present.

So initially I was all "Oh he's just stubborn and doesn't want to walk. My dog is an asshole."

and then i disengaged the human brain and thought, "You know, i bet it feels really nice to lay on blacktop all day."

So i ooched and scooched him all the way home and then we sat (SAFELY) in our driveway and he got to flop out and get belly rubs as he basked in the heat. When we got back in i made sure he had access to plenty of water but he wasn't interested in more than a quick slurp.

So yeah, god knows how i'm going ot take Bax on walks this summer but I feel like I've come to more of an understanding of what he likes. He's a crazy, special, awesome little guy :lol:

Also Bax, there IS such a thing as to MUCH personality :roll:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: The monster I created

Post by JudyN »

Do you think Bax and Jasper might be related.... :lol: He lay down on the grassy verge by the car today after his walk and refused to shift for about 10 minutes because, hey, it was a nice place for a lie-down. Though I think with him he does it because the grass is cool rather than him seeking warmth.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Re: The monster I created

Post by Shalista »

ahaha ive often wondered if they are distantly related :lol: such sensitive little flowers :roll:

I blame the tiny splash of whippet in Bax's breed for his occasional sensitive lurcher moments.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13