Two female pits - good idea?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzette

Two female pits - good idea?

Post by Suzette »

I have a 16 week old rescue pit bull that I am fostering. She is now ready for her new home. A very nice lady wants her who has raised and understands pit bulls. BUT... she already has one aged male and a young (but adult) female. While I personally have never had an issue having two females in the same household, I have seen it mentioned here time and again that two females of the same breed can cause serious issues.

So... my question is should I allow this woman to adopt this puppy or is it a likely recipe for disaster down the line. (I know none of you have a crystal ball to see into the future, but I'm trying to play the odds here). I love this little pup and want what is best for her.

Thanks so much for any insights or thoughts you might like to share.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
emmabeth

Re: Two female pits - good idea?

Post by emmabeth »

What is the age gap? If its a few years, if the potential owner can manage lots of one on one time with each dog, then I don't think its any riskier than any other terrier ***** combination tbh - it IS a risk.. but with a sensible owner who can see and deal with issues as they occur and not leave it till its dangerous can be one worth taking.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Suzette

Re: Two female pits - good idea?

Post by Suzette »

Thanks for your answer Emmabeth! I thought her female was younger than this, but she just told me that she is 7 years old. She is apparently very sweet and nurturing to other dogs she meets. This family really knows pitties, how to raise them and how to keep them properly exercised and trained. I'm thinking based on this info and your previous response that it will most likely be a good fit for this little puppy since they seem to know the breed well. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11