Quorn meat?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Quorn meat?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

Iv been toying with the idea of becoming a vegetarian as I just feel I would benefit from not eating meat. Plus if found put recently through a bad reaction that I'm intolerant to pork, lamb and beef as when ever I eat with of these I throw up and have bad cramps for 2 days was even hospitalised last week because of it. The doctor thought it was something I ate with the meat so when I was better I cooked one of each thoroughly and brought from a different show and I threw up after I ate them. ( I tried this one at a time over 3 days) my GP said it was defiantly an intolerance but I seem to be OK with chicken?

I'm finding it hard to have enough protein in my new diet? Do you think quorn meat would be OK? Is it healthy do you think?

Many thanks
Zara
JudyN

Re: Quorn meat?

Post by JudyN »

Quorn meat isn't meat - it's Quorn. Nevertheless, it's still a good protein source.

Of course a vegetarian diet can be very healthy (it can also be unhealthy if you live on pizza of course :wink: ). Have a look at some vegetarian websites for advice and recipe suggestions. There's also loads of easy ready-made options like beanburgers, veggie sausages, pies (check out Pieminister's range). You could also try TVP meat substitutes, though personally I'm not keen - I'd rather have a lentil chilli or bean chilli than a pretend meat chilli.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks Judy I will check that out :D . iv been looking on my local health food shop website and found lentil and butternut squash burgers which look really nice and there handmade so only last a few days unless I freeze them and there's loads more on the website so things are starting to look up :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I've been veggie in the past and we eat around 70% of our meals veggie even now.

Learn to cook real veg and source protein from eggs, cheese, nuts etc - and THEN.. supplement that diet with meat replacements like TVP, soya, quorn etc.

All these things are heavily processed and on those grounds, not brilliant for you but in moderation as part of a sensible diet, they are all fine.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks emmabeth

I've been doing a lot of research and on Gino d acampo website there's loads of meat free recipes that are nutritional! :D I will still be eating fish as I love fish and have no problems with it. In mainly only eat salmon twice a week and. Sea bass once a week the other 4 meals will be veggie meals.like veggie burger salad with sweet potato chips ( I make them myself) , veggie lasagna , I also love brown and wild rice and pasta so this will help massively. In a way I'm lucky as I was brought up in Spain so am used to eating a lot of veg and fruit. And I'm already used to a feta cheese salad or a Mediterranean salad with fruit.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Just made this tonight and it was amazing!!!! :D I will post a link to the recipe if anyone wants to trybit.
http://www.ginodacampo.com/recipe/rigat ... gus-sauce/