Any suggestions?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Pittmama

Any suggestions?

Post by Pittmama »

I have a 3yo unaltered pitbull, we've had him since he was 10 weeks old.. He is well behaved and listens pretty good. He is an amazing loveable boy! The problem is he sleeps in my bed (always has) but now we go to cuddle or kiss him, as soon as we get by his face he will growl for a second then roll over and start licking. My husband insists that he is being dominant and disciplines him..it's gotten to the point where he shakes when my husband gets near his face and has snapped at him. I can see he's terrified by the way he shakes but according to my hubby I'm wrong...I really want to correct this behavior because he is threatening to get rid of him if he ever does bite him someday and that would break my heart! He is my baby!! Can you please help!?

My husband is only home on the weekends. The escalated behavior just started about a week or two ago.
Erica

Re: Any suggestions?

Post by Erica »

The most obvious answer is to leave him alone when he's sleeping...the saying "let sleeping dogs lie" is popular for a reason! Dogs, like most humans, don't like to be disturbed when they're comfortable and warm. It's very very rude and threatening in dog language to put your face near another's face. You are very right that punishing him for growling is not a good idea, and that it will lead to air-snaps, and if those are also ignored, possibly a bite.

I think this is going to be more of a human training thing. A dog's growl is not a threat. It's not the dog saying "I am about to bite you because I hate you." It's the dog saying "I am very uncomfortable and scared, and I feel like I may have to defend myself with my teeth. I would like to avoid that, so I'm telling you this with my voice." Most of the time, the dog starts "talking" with their body language, which most people can't read and will ignore. The dog has to step it up to the growl -- it's not their first choice, and by growling they are actively trying to avoid aggression! This "Ladder of Aggression" graphic talks about the quieter signals dog give to show that they're uncomfortable.

You could also train him to sleep in a comfy bed inside a crate when your husband is home, so he won't feel crowded by your husband. The crate could be beside your bed so he still feels close to you.

Normally, if there's something normal that the dog is growling at (eg, person walking ten feet away while they eat) I'd recommend a more active counter-conditioning routine. But I personally feel that just not bugging pup while he's sleeping is the best and easiest option for everyone.

Recap: Leave pup alone when he's sleeping on the bed. Do not put your face near his and prevent husband from doing so as well. Set up a comfy crate close-by if husband won't leave him alone (and don't let husband bug him in the crate!).

Here are a couple good articles you could share with your hubbie as part of the discussion as well:
How to Pet a Dog
Growls Are Better Than the Alternative
Dealing With Dog Growling
Your Guide to Canine Growling
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It would be as well to find a permanent bed for your dog rather than have him sleep on yours with you. That's because right now he sees your husband as someone whose company is unpleasant "when he's around I get thrown out of my bed". Make his new bed really really comfortable and avoid having him on yours at all. Otherwise it's just too confusing for the dog. Dogs are not very good at "sometimeses". It's better to have "alwayses".
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I agree that you should give him a bed of his own - three in a bed is always going to be a bit crowded and it's inevitable his personal space will be invaded at times. It's just not worth the risk of one of you rolling over in your sleep, disturbing him, and having him snap or bite before he's even realised what he's done (look up 'sleep aggression in dogs').
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Pittmama

Post by Pittmama »

Thank you Erica. We don't bother him when he's sleeping. He does this when he is just laying in the bed. Both our dogs have always slept with us. They also have their own beds next to ours which they do use.. I'm just keeping them both off the bed when he's home.

Thank you everyone