How to tell other people?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Janca

How to tell other people?

Post by Janca »

Hi all. I am curious about opinion. In my local park I have seen a couple with gorgeous Mastiff puppy. The problem is that every time I see them they are doing " alpha roll" to him for not to me visible serious reasons other then wanting to see and greet us or wanting to play. He gets dragged away and roll.
I feel I should say something, how daminging the roll is for their dog but on the other hand is it my place to do so? I feel so sory for the dog especially breed like that is being wrongly trained 😔
I am quite nervous talking to strangers as well which does not help. Thanks
JudyN

Re: How to tell other people?

Post by JudyN »

Sadly, I'm not sure there's much you can do :( No one will respond well to a stranger going up to them and telling them that they're doing it wrong. Though I've just noticed you're a dog walker, and that might give you a way in... Your best bet, if the personalities of the dogs you walk makes it possible, would be to chat to these people, maybe let the dogs interact, and then to comment something like 'Oh, I used to do the alpha roll but then discovered it made things worse and what I did was...' Or you could say that your clients did such-and-such, or a behaviourist you met in your line of work told you... I believe that little white lies are justified in these situations :wink:

I did have one success recently - I was chatting to a man whose saluki x whippet was wearing a cloth muzzle which held her mouth closed because she nipped her other dog in play. I mentioned to him that these could be dangerous in a running dog and pointed to my dog's muzzle as an example of what he should be using. I wasn't sure he'd listen, but last time I saw them she was wearing an open muzzle that allowed her to pant, drink, etc.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Its really really hard, as Judy says, not many people are going to welcome advice from a stranger.

Most people just don't welcome advice they did not ask for, and a surprising number actually don't like or welcome advice they DID ask for!

If you CAN get talking to them, start out with something not related to training - complimenting their dog on how gorgeous he is is a good un!

Then you have them on side, then you ask what they are trying to achieve.... and THEN be ready with a totally non judgemental, happy, smiley response... like..

Oh! Oh I see yes...... would you like a funner/more effective method ' or 'ohhhhh yes, that.. so I did xyz because its really fun and easy to do'..

ALWAYS sell YOUR method as being fun, enjoyable, easier, efficient - NEVER EVER 'kinder' or 'more humane' ... becuse if you say that they ARE for sure, hearing 'your method is cruel'. And that is the fastest way to switch folk off that I know of!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Janca

Post by Janca »

Thank you guys. That is very helpful. I totally agree and that was the reason why I didnt interfere so far. Hopefully I will get good opportunity soon x
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Janca,

Good luck! You received some good advice.
But, remember that they may have been taught to do the roll with their dog. When we first got Sandy, we signed up for training with a local pet store. And, Sandy was reacting to the other dogs (since as we learned through this site he has fear reaction. Well, the trainer told us that not to accept his reacting, and taught us to do that roll to get Sandy under control. And, he did it more than once. I then tried it in a park when he was reacting to another dog in the disstance. But, it didn't feel right. OH also agreed that it didn't feel right.

This same trainier felt Sandy, a deer chihuahua, needed a job to keep him under control. He suggested we buy a backpack to go over his back and filll each side up with rocks to keep Sandy from jumping around and reacting! :evil: Can you believe that! It could have given Sandy severe back problems! Needless to say we lost money since we had to pay upfront and never went back.

So, this couple you mention may have been taught this roll in a training class, and depending on what they think of the trainer, they may feel it's correct. By the way, I've see CM on TV do that roll to dogs to "put them on their place".
They may think this is what they are supposed to be doing.
FYI-a second trainer also wanted to teach us this roll to discipline as well. So, there are many out there who believe in it.

When I found this website, it's when I realized that we were right to drop the trainer and his methods.
So, as suggested approach gingerly and praise them for something good, and then follow the suggestions Judy and Emmabeth made

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09