Random Chatter

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

Re: Random Chatter

Post by AliceGrimm »

lol I am glad you are cheered up!

35 days until spring. I can't wait for the warmer weather. And lets face it.. I am bouncing out of my seat for my pup!! I am so very nervous!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There is a link to contact admin at the bottom of the forum - if anyone felt so inclined to express their concerns, yoou never know, they might sit up and take notice. But don't tell them it was at my suggestion, they might already think I'm a desk-thumping troublemaker :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

JudyN wrote:There is a link to contact admin at the bottom of the forum - if anyone felt so inclined to express their concerns, yoou never know, they might sit up and take notice. But don't tell them it was at my suggestion, they might already think I'm a desk-thumping troublemaker :wink:
lol Actually I just went through and PMed two of them and then sent them an email. When I saw the bottom.. then I checked here. lol Amazing idea. But you won't get in trouble. Though they will soon know spam.. I did try to comment on one of Victoria's posts on facebook. But I guess I will need to do it during a live feed moment and grab her attention. Good think I can type like lightning. lol

But I despise spam bots. And I don't think you guys should use your limited time deleting their crap. I'd rather you guys be here to see a billion pictures of my soon to be very adorable pup and help me.. for the pooping biting sleeping monster I am about to bring into my home. lol
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

AliceGrimm wrote:I'd rather you guys be here to see a billion pictures of my soon to be very adorable pup and help me.. for the pooping biting sleeping monster I am about to bring into my home. lol
Absolutely, I can't wait to see him/her, and being reminded of those sharp puppy toothmarks all over my arms! :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Also worth mentioning that i think banning the bots is an exercise in futility since they all only use the same account to post once maybe twice and then drop it.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I thought that likely - and banning IP addresses doesn't help as most are dynamic (and can result in genuine members being locked out).

I'm wondering if email activation might help, where a new member has to click on a link in an email sent to them before being activated... I wonder if bots can do that though?
Erica

Post by Erica »

After-the-fact measures won't have much success. They do seem rather fond of posting and running, so it wouldn't stop them in the future. The email activation might be worth a try, at least!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

or make it so an admin has to confirm a user before enabling them? not sure if you could enable private messaging for guests though.

even adding a captcha (that annoying hoop we have to jump through when we do big posts) might weed out a few but im not sure what kind of functionality a board like this has.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yeah I proposed having a mod approve someone's first post before it goes through and before they can do a signature/avatar/website link in their profile. It would still be work for us but probably one click instead of seven or eight!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The problem with admin approving new members is if they're not available for a few days, no one can get in - and it took Emmabeth a long time to convince the powers-that-be that she wouldn't actually destroy the board even after she'd met them in person so they're not going to trust Erica or me with more than the bare minimum of powers.

Captcha codes help, if properly tweaked, and they would be available on this board. On my forum, the most successful measure was a question along the lines of 'Who made the first post in the top stickied thread in X section?' That stumped all the bots, and probably a lot of foreign spammers and those who couldn't be bothered to look :wink: It's also phpBB, so this forum should have a similar option.

I think it should be possible for first posts to require approval by mods - that could be a good solution, if they're happy to trust that mods will be around regularly. But first, they need to recognise the problem and actually want to do something about it....
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

I am also on a Schnauzer forum as I think it is good to get an understanding of the breed through people that love the breed, but they had me wait a mod to approve me before I could start posting. I think it is the best way to do it.

I think so long as the forum is connected to her site, this should happen. And I think she should mention it more in her live chats. It would make people come here more and sign up.

I see no problem with mods being on. You all are on at least once a day. You guys are amazing! <3

I am getting a female. lol That is why I am curious how to do the sanitary area. I have done it on a male a bit.. but never a female.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

While going through the new posts i noticed an unfortunate trend starting where spam bots post directly into preexsisting threads. hopefully this is just a one day thing and not the start of something new. :?
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Shalista wrote:While going through the new posts i noticed an unfortunate trend starting where spam bots post directly into preexsisting threads. hopefully this is just a one day thing and not the start of something new. :?
Actually, this is not new. I have seen this tactic used on this forum for a long time. :(
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yup, particularly in any c a r p e t c l e a n i n g thread :roll:
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Hmm.. I sent another email and posted it on her facebook page. I imagine if I spam her enough perhaps she will notice me out of the trillions of people who are trying to ask her questions or tell her something. This is such an amazing resource with such nice people. It needs to be saved from Spambots!

I can't wait to get my pup. It is so terribly exciting.