Guess the mix

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Guess the mix

Post by JudyN »

This is Jasper's friend Lola. She was originally a street dog in Romania so her breeding is a complete guess. She's a very busy dog, scurrying all over the place, and has a good turn of speed. She will run up to other dogs and bark at them - but often decides at the last moment that the other dog is a bit big and turns tail again :lol: She's quite small - only knee high.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at her mix?

Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MPbandmom

Re: Guess the mix

Post by MPbandmom »

What a cutie! :D

The coloration makes me think Shepherd? or Collie?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Pretty!

Im going to be a boring bumhole and say no mix at all, shes the 'generic dog' you get when you allow dogs to breed freely, mongrel to mongrel to mongrel they will eventually all turn out roughly like that (particularly the size, and the ears, and the coat, the colour is a little less usual but within the normal range really).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Erica

Post by Erica »

Her ears make me think tanuki or African wild dog. ;) Agreed with Emmabeth though; a lot of times with street dogs, any pure breed is so far back as to be invisible. You might get influence in an area with a lot of a certain breed - eg a lot of chihuahua-type street dogs in Puerto Rico, or...I forget the "breed" name, but in some areas of Australia, the strays have a lot of influence from a type of farm dog there. But for the most part they're just dogs. Dog dogs.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I had wondered if some dogs had such a mixture of genes that 'mix' was more or less irrelevant - or even if their appearance had been set before different breeds even became established. I didn't realise it was a 'thing' though.

BTW, don't go googling images of 'Romanian street dog' to get an idea of generic appearance... :(
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, typical street dog. As Emmabeth says, mixed breeds that mix for long enough all revert to 'generic dog'. Very pretty, and I bet as smart as a new coat of paint.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Her owner has mentioned the possibility of doing agility with her, and I think she'd make a cracking agility dog :D
master2

Post by master2 »

Just gonna throw this out there but her head reminds me of an akita in the second pic
gwd

Post by gwd »

Generic street dog. she's cute!