Allergies and cleaning

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Allergies and cleaning

Post by Shalista »

I recently moved to a different bedroom in the house and my old bedroom became the guest bedroom. In my old bedroom bax would spend the night sleeping on my bed. My brother is mildly allergic to dogs, it gets a bit harder to breath, his eyes get red, and his nose starts running when he's in prolonged contact with their dander. (he does okay just walking around the house and petting them.) Apparently he had a really hard time sleeping in my old bed and his allergies got really bad. We've vacuumed the room and changed and washed all the bedding. Is there any additional measures i could take to clean the room so he won't get a reaction?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Allergies and cleaning

Post by JudyN »

There's some details here that might help: http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-tre ... erers.aspx

Or http://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/resources/2111.pdf

It might be worth him taking an antihistamine in the meantime just so he's more comfortable.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

Vacuum the mattress itself, or flip it over and vacuum it would be my first try. They also have anti-allergen mattress coverings. No idea how well they work but they're available :lol:
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yeah, I was going to say, clean the mattress too-- not just vacuum it, but shampoo it. My parents exchanged the carpet in my sister's room with hard wood to help her with her allergies. (Two of my sisters are allergic to animals, but asking them to spend a life without animals is like asking them to cut off their arms, bless them.)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yeah ill def have to do something bout the mattress itself. Me and Bax marinated in there every night for a year.
thankfully it's hardwood floors and always has been!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

can you swap mattresses so you have your own back and bro sleeps on his or a new one?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I actually got bumped to a futon(its a twin his is a queen) =( i dont mind cause for some reason squishy beds make my back hurt, but yeah, def not swapable