Precious and me

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sanna

Precious and me

Post by Sanna »

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've posted much (I've been lurking tho ;) ), we've been pretty busy for the last few months but thought I'd let you know how we're getting on.
Precious will be 3 in October, he's done a lot of growing up and has calmed down a LOT :lol: We still have some issues, but overall we're doing ok.
At home he is now just lovely and chilled, even enjoys a cuddle- I do need to do some door bell/visitor training tho but keep putting it off as our homelife is generally pretty quiet so I suppose it's just not been a priority.
I've worked really hard on his obedience and focus outdoors, he is certainly much improved and more relaxed, and actively checks in/ pays me attention much more than before- it seems he enjoys interacting with me now as opposed to just treating me like a cumbersome accessorie.. :lol:

We still have reactivity issues with certain other dogs, particularly entire males and neutered boys with attitude (like himself :roll: ) but it's more an exception than a rule now and managing it is kinda second nature. I suspect a lot of it is frustration/ leash reactivity but I'm not about to put my theory to the test by letting him off.. He also still has the occasional tantrum when he gets frustrated or over aroused, but they are monthly rather than daily now. And a relentless thief of clothing, remotes and mobiles; if given the opportunity. Work in progress ;)

I've discovered he is really really good at tracking- our instructor (ex-police dog handler, pretty old school guy but happy for me to train using what he calls 'fluffy brigade methods'.. :roll: ) reckons he's the best dog he's seen in a couple of years so that's pretty cool. We are currently easily doing 3-4 turn tracks with several articles, on grass and dirt; and we've signed up for a little tracking competition in October (nothing fancy, just for fun). Precious absolutely loves it and I enjoy it too.

We're also working on our Uber Dude title dog tricks, almost there so hoping to get a video together quite soon- I'll put it up here when we get there. Just for fun, but I find I do a lot more and better with his training when I have specific goals.

It's been and still is very hard work, to get such a challenging dog when I was learning as I went along myself has been a pretty steep learning curve and my Precious and I have a long way to go yet; but it is really nice to take a minute to look back and realise that we have actually made a whole lot of progress too :)
MPbandmom

Re: Precious and me

Post by MPbandmom »

Good to hear things are going so well. It is great that you have found an activity that he loves to do that will really work his brain.

Best wishes for the competition in October. :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oooh, that's pretty cool about the tracking! :) Glad to hear you're both doing well.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I'm glad you've found something you both enjoy doing! It's also lovely to hear from you and know it's going well :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great news - thanks for update and well done you and Precious!

I love being one of the Fluffy Brigade :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You've done an awesome job with him. And just sticking with a challenging dog, particularly one the size of a small house, is awesome in itself :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Nettle wrote: I love being one of the Fluffy Brigade :lol:
Me too :lol:
JudyN wrote:You've done an awesome job with him. And just sticking with a challenging dog, particularly one the size of a small house, is awesome in itself :D
Thanks Judy (and all you ladies for your kind comments :) ), that means a lot. I've sometimes wondered what would've happened to him if he hadn't ended up with us- I suspect the outcome wouldn't have been very good for him if he'd gone to someone less inclined to work with him and try to understand him, or a busy family with kids :?:

I meant to write a longer post but got cut short as the P beast demanded his afternoon exercise.. In other news, I am hoping to become a fully fledged member of the Fluffy Brigade myself ;)
For the past year I have been volunteering twice a week walking and training some local rescue dogs, I have been lucky enough to do this alongside an awesome behaviourist who also volunteers her time with these dogs- they are all in rescue long term with some quite serious aggression/ fear issues.
She was taught by Jean Donaldson and Karen Pryor amongst others, and has worked with the likes of Jane Ardern and Chirag Patel over here; and what I've seen her achieve with some of these dogs (using absolutely no aversive methods of course) is truly amazing.
Having Precious and also doing this has turned me into a right little dog geek :lol: so ...drumroll... I've decided I would really like to learn to train dogs (and their people) for a living.

She has agreed to help mentor me, which I am super chuffed about :) I am currently accompanying her to see clients once a week, at the moment she's mainly working with aggressive dogs and serious behavioural problems so way out of my league but incredibly interesting and I'm learning an awful lot. She is also one of the most dedicated people I have ever met and demands a lot from me, so I feel very fortunate to be given this chance but also rather petrified that I might not have what it takes (whatever 'it' is- some dog people just seem to have it) :shock:
In the next few months she's hoping to set up puppy classes in my area, and has offered me the opportunity to assist so I am beyond excited! I think it will be a fab starting point, and I'm trying to get as much hands on experience as possible.
I'm doing a foundation course in Canine behaviour and training at the moment, then I'm looking at Karen Pryor's Instructor course and also her Puppy Trainer course; and then hopefully I'll do the IMDT or similar to get a proper and valid qualification- any suggestions/ advice from those of you who have already done this please do let me know?
Let's just hope I don't fail miserably along the way.. At least it should keep me busy and out of mischief for the next year or two :lol: !
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

That sounds brilliant Sanna. I've been considering going into a dog related career recently but don't think I could do the human side of it so think it's a bit of a none starter for me :lol: do let us know how you get on though :mrgreen:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Wow that sounds awesome! So pleased you have such a good mentor, and don't worry, you WILL rise to the occason. :D

Della you are so right - it's as much about people as it is about dogs. I would advise anyone taking up dog behaviour as a career to get a grounding in human behaviour also. Don't waste your time on studying classical psychology (ODG - Old Dead Guys :lol: ) but find out about human attitudes, drives, effects of hormones on behaviour, and how to get what you want through negotiation, communication and motivation. A lot of it crosses over between the two species!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ooh, I'm excited for you :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Yeah! Awesome!
katej215

Post by katej215 »

nice to read your update Sanna..you've done so well with him..don't forget to post your tricks vid :D