Jasper's Norfolk holiday

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Re: Jasper's Norfolk holiday

Post by WufWuf »

JudyN wrote:Wufwuf, you must have meaner razor shells round your way - I walked on them with no problems too.
Or I just have wussier feet? :wink:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've never tried a Thundershirt on Jasper as I've a feeling he wouldn't appreciate it, but this isn't expensive and could be worth a try: http://www.happyhoodie.com/ It would both muffle the sound as well as provide some gentle compression.

Ignore the awful-looking website - I've seen it advertised elsewhere with much less hype and fewer fonts :wink: And I suggest you don't watch the vid of the dog being dried. The 'before' mode goes on for a long time and the dog is quite distressed :( I didn't even make it to the 'after' bit.

Actually, I have a Seasalt 'handyband' I could test out on him :idea:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

JudyN wrote:I've never tried a Thundershirt on Jasper as I've a feeling he wouldn't appreciate it,
Judy, have you ever heard of a body wrap...something I've learned from my T Touch course. Hattie finds a thundershirt way too much, but responds well to a body wrap. It's essentially a crepe bandage that you place across the chest , cross over his back and tie on his side, the whole thing is fairly loose, but seems to have a magically calming effect. I can take a pic of Hattie with hers on if you need a point of reference.

Norfolk looks lovely!! 2 counties further south you could've popped in for a cuppa :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Kate, I really should try a body wrap, especially as I can start off just playing with the contents of our first aid box :lol: Where did you get yours from?
katej215

Post by katej215 »

I got mine from our T Touch course, but it is just an ACE elastic bandage , Hattie's is 3 metres with clips (which you can take off). We were advised against velcro fastening ones, as the noise could freak the dog, plus you might be tempted to tie it too tight in getting the velcro to meet. It does need to be fitted quite loosely. It was also suggested we dye them a colour to stop people inquiring as to the dog's injuries :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've had a bit of a play with a couple of 3"-wide crepe bandages that are just long enough for a basic wrap when safety-pinned together, but was waiting for the Happy Hoodie to arrive, which it did today. The pack contains a large and a small 'hoodie'. I had wondered if he'd need the small as he has a narrow head, but the large is surprisingly tight - goodness knows how you'd get it on a Rottie :lol:

Actually, I'm not too sure how, or if, I'm going to get it on Jasper. He's had no problems wearing my 'handyband', and is happy to take treats through the hoodie, but to pull it over his head I (or a willing assistant :wink: ) would need to stand behind him and give it a firm yank. And at the point that yanking is required, his eyes are covered by the hoodie. He's already leapt back a couple of times when I've tried to ease it over his head, so we need to back up. He might be alright if it was pulled all the way over his head so his face was clear, but he might also flip and refuse to go near it again. I can't work out how to introduce it gradually... It could do with starting off bigger and then having some way of tightening it. I might have to get creative, but it doesn't have a seam in it running lengthways, which doesn't help.

As it's sold primarily as a grooming aid, maybe it's designed for dogs who are used to a bit more manhandling than Jasper is happy with.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've sussed it! :D

I put a treat on the sofa, put the end of the hoodie 'tube' over it and indicated that he had to eat the treat through the hoodie. As he stuck his nose in I lifted it just slightly, and then held it in position so that he had to push his head through some more to get the treat, rather than me pulling the hoodie onto him. The second time it ended up over his head almost clear of his eyes, and he looked rather surprised so I gave him copious praise and whipped it off before he could decide he didn't like it. Then we did a couple where I didn't get him to push his head through so far, to keep it positive and fun.

It will be a lot easier with a willing accomplice to hold the treat. Then it'll be easier to control how far he has to push his head through and make sure it stays a fun game.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I haven't tried the hoodie in the car yet (and have doubts about its effectiveness and concerns it might be too warm), but I'm sharing this for comedy value :wink:

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Comedy value indeed! Look at that lovely ridiclous face!!! :mrgreen: :lol: