What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Oh no! Hope all goes well with Sky. Hopefully because all previous exams came back clean that means you have caught it early. Best wishes x
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Thank you all,

Sky is home from the vets and sedation. Her back end isn't working very well. My suspicion is that she over did it with standing and walking at the vets office. The vet reported taking several samples and also noting signs of infection. So she is on antibiotics again. We should have lab results early next week and then we will have a better idea of what we are dealing with. Two vets have now seen her and both believe it to be a rather sizeable mass. They seemed to indicate shooter marble size. Sky is currently on her couch and we have a gate at the bottom of the stairs so she can't try to come up. This doesn't seem too likely as I made my sandwich for lunch tomorrow which happens to be peanut butter and jelly. Normally Sky will come to the call of the sound of the peanut butter jar being taken out of the refrigerator and a knife being taken out of the drawer and then stands drooling while I spread the peanut butter on my break in eager anticipation of being able to lick the knife clean afterwards. Tonight she didn't budge from the couch.

Sirius got to go on a walk today on the 3rd Annual 100 by Summer challenge. We wimped out the first two days of spring due to ice and snow. Sirius was so excited when Sky came back home.

Normally we feed Sky outside and Sirius inside. But as Sky wasn't moving very well, we switched. Sirius went out into the yard and started zooming around and giving play bows. To give her medication, we take a slice of cheese, break it into 6 pieces, squeeze a ribbon of what we call squeezy cheese on each piece. Place her meds which consist of 2 capsules into two of the pieces of cheese and then fold all pieces in half. We normally drop these to the floor one at a time and she sucks them up. Since she was outside and in play mode tonight, she was our in the middle of the yard doing a play bow. I would drop a piece of cheese and she would swoop in and snatch it up and swallow, then race back to the middle of the yard and resume play bow pose. She did this for all 6 pieces of cheese. Then when I set her dish down with her chicken thigh and left over breakfast, she snatched the chicken thigh out of the bowl and threw it into the air and then caught it before settling down a bit to eat. She is so entertaining and cute at times. After supper, she took a long nap. I guess all of the excitement had worn off and she realized she was tired.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I hope sky feels better soon :( ,

Were a tow dog family at the moment only for the next tow weeks as my cousin has gone on holiday abroud but she didn't want to leave her dog in a boarding kennel so I said I'll take him as no one else would but only if Sampson says yes , her dog is a cavalier king Charles spaniel make Tri colour, gorgeous dog very well behaved , anyway Sampson was happy to say hello and has been fine sharing his home I think it's because Coby is neutered but they have gotten on really well so far so this will be interesting to see how he is with small dogs. My mom is in heaven as Cavaliers are what she use to own and show years ago so she in the zone :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

@MPbandmom Poor Sky :( Hopefully the growth comes back as benign and she can get back to peanut butter knife licking. At least Sirius still seems to be keeping you on your toes.

@ZaraD Some dogs can be fine with smaller male dogs but want to duff up larger ones, maybe Sampson is like that. Or maybe he just has a soft spot for Cavvies. :lol:

What to do when you meet another dog with your dogs name? Well, not what we did! Ran into a showline Springer, which is unusual as I only ever see Workers. The dogs were having too much fun so they didn't naturally break away, so we had to call them.

'Merlin!' I called, and this Springer appears next to me expecting a treat. I put it down to him just being a spaniel food hound. At this same moment my Merlin was over with the guy, trying to get his food reward. Now THAT is unusual, Merlin isn't a people person until they ask him to do a trick.

I called again. This really persistent Springer was looking at me to say 'I'm here, duh!' and Merlin started to bounce around the guy. Unfortunately we were a little way away so I couldn't hear him and he likely couldn't hear us super clearly. So it took a few more 'huh?' for us to work out they had the same name as the two dogs ran between us getting a little bit annoyed by being jerked around. Poor things. :lol: We both had liver treats as a reward too so both dogs wanted to work for it.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:06 am @MPbandmom Poor Sky :( Hopefully the growth comes back as benign and she can get back to peanut butter knife licking. At least Sirius still seems to be keeping you on your toes.

@ZaraD Some dogs can be fine with smaller male dogs but want to duff up larger ones, maybe Sampson is like that. Or maybe he just has a soft spot for Cavvies. :lol:

What to do when you meet another dog with your dogs name? Well, not what we did! Ran into a showline Springer, which is unusual as I only ever see Workers. The dogs were having too much fun so they didn't naturally break away, so we had to call them.

'Merlin!' I called, and this Springer appears next to me expecting a treat. I put it down to him just being a spaniel food hound. At this same moment my Merlin was over with the guy, trying to get his food reward. Now THAT is unusual, Merlin isn't a people person until they ask him to do a trick.

I called again. This really persistent Springer was looking at me to say 'I'm here, duh!' and Merlin started to bounce around the guy. Unfortunately we were a little way away so I couldn't hear him and he likely couldn't hear us super clearly. So it took a few more 'huh?' for us to work out they had the same name as the two dogs ran between us getting a little bit annoyed by being jerked around. Poor things. :lol: We both had liver treats as a reward too so both dogs wanted to work for it.
I wouldn't blame him if he did just have a soft spot for cavaliers there beutiful dogs but I'm also wondering if it is just he likes small dogs better as beagles are small?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's good with little dogs, I guess as he doesn't see them as a threat. Well, maybe not JRTs but he's not going to mess with a JRT anyway :lol:

He's got a poorly tum :( I won a packet of puffed pig lung and he had a couple of bits (they're large pieces) yesterday, but needed to go out at 4am and then again very promptly when OH got up this morning. I had a look in the garden at what he'd done in the night and yup, that definitely wasn't a happy tummy :shock: :lol: He seemed a bit quiet at the start of the morning walk but did get going when we got to the park, and wanted his usual play in the garden when we got home again. I've not heard a peep out of him since then.

I just feel so guilty for telling him to sharrup and go back to sleep in the night before finally deciding he might really need to go out :oops: He really needs to come up with different ways of saying, 'I need to bark at the monsters/foxes/moon,' and 'If I don't get out there NOW you're going to have to do some carpet scrubbing' :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

On our walk today wecmet a lovely husky ***** , there aren't many near us so it was nice to meet one as sampson never seen one before , he played with her and they had a good game of catch for about an hour while we talked he asked loads of questions about giant schnauzers and then I asked what huskys were like and he said that people have this myth about them thinking they need 3hr+ exercise a day and it's not true he said they are active dogs but in his experience ( she was his 6th husky) there no more active than a German shepherd, and that 2hrs a day is fine he said the most important thing is that you give them something from do as they can get bored quickly. He said there not as crackers as people make out just that some people don't realise they need a lot of mental exercise as well as physical and it's more of a case like the Dalmatian that just because they can run all day dosernt mean they need to run all day ect. I found this fascinating as for years I believed huskys were like border collies never have an off switch and were crackers , I didn't expect him to compare there energy to a German shepherd.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

people who own multiples of a breed sometimes lose perspective to so be careful. I once had a res describe his Malamutes as "couch potatoes" and im not sure what he fed them but allow me to adjust my skepticals.......
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Shalista wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm people who own multiples of a breed sometimes lose perspective to so be careful. I once had a res describe his Malamutes as "couch potatoes" and im not sure what he fed them but allow me to adjust my skepticals.......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

My friend and I found a husky-type on a local heath a while back, put her on lead and managed to reunite her with her owner. A couple of weeks later I saw the same dog reported as missing on Facebook, along with the other husky type she lived with. They were found, but I suspect they'll get lost again soon.

My food supplier has an offer of a 15kg frozen block of chicken and tripe for £12, a ridiculous saving. All I'd need to do is thaw it a little, portion it up and refreeze it. And then spend the rest of the day with the aroma of tripe pervading the house and clinging to my hands. OH pointed out that in the time it would take me to do that and clear up, I could sit in my comfy chair and earn enough money to cover the extra cost. I just love working freelance :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Hey time is money! hes probably right, especially if you work freelance
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oopsy...

It's my birthday today, so DS2 came round and, as we like to live in style, we ordered Domino's pizza to eat in the front room :mrgreen: Generally Jasper knows there's no way he'll be able to nab any pizza off us so just settle down, but DS2 has lost his knack, Jasper recognised that, and managed to nab two slices of his pizza :shock: He then proceeded to eat them very slowly, because they were still very hot. I'm really hoping he hasn't burnt his mouth, though he's not showing any signs of pain.

Earlier, he spent some time ripping up the bag one of my presents was in, and I decided to teach him to rip it on the cue 'Kill it!' But once he realised he was being 'trained', his memories of my rubbish freeshaping came back to him and he couldn't work out why just touching the bag with his nose, or putting a paw on it, wouldn't get him a treat :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for yesterday.

Hope Jasper's tummy survived the pizza.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thank you Nettle :D Jasper seems fine. I always wondered what he'd do if given food too hot for him to eat and now I know :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I know a terrier - a Patterdale - :evil: that stole a baked potato out of a hot oven and ate the whole thing crying, swiping her face with her paws, but not stopping until she had finished. I wouldn't have let it happen, but she wasn't my dog.

She seemingly suffered no ill effects. And it certainly didn't stop her raiding the oven, nor teach her owner anything useful.