What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by ZaraD »

Day 2 was amazing I love terriers so was spoiled rotten , every corner I saw a terrier :mrgreen: , then I cheered like a crazy lady when the Scottish terrier won best of group as Scotties are my favourite terrier as my step mom owns one and I love em :D , today iv been around a lot of Eurasiers
And oh my word lotsaquestions you would be in love iv not met one yet I didn't love they are very special there's just something majestic about them and they just draw you in :D . Were having dinner in one of the cafes and after I'm going to see if I can find were all the mini schnauzers are.

So far I'm on the Scotties team to win crufts this year. I'm hoping a mini schnauzer wins utility and am hoping the Welsh Springer wins gundog group :D . I'm looking forward to meeting loads of welshies tomorrow :D

Still not been able to chat with the Supervet bowl Fitzpatrick as people follow him everywhere he's very popular here, but I'm not giving up :wink:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I thought it funny how Scottish the Scottie looked, with those big bristling eyebrows :lol: I loved the JRT :D We'll probably be cheering for the whippet tomorrow. Not that we're biased towards sighthounds or anything.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh and Shalista - it's brilliant to hear how well Bax is doing now! :D
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:03 pm I thought it funny how Scottish the Scottie looked, with those big bristling eyebrows :lol: I loved the JRT :D We'll probably be cheering for the whippet tomorrow. Not that we're biased towards sighthounds or anything.
:lol: I know it was like he was saying all eyes on me I'm the boss :lol: and when he was stood still and we saw a side shot he looked like the outline of the Scottie you see on bags, clothing ect.

I always think all sighthounds look as if there floating rather than walking there so graceful in the way they walk :D

One thing you really notice at crufts is how many nervous dogs you see , you do see dogs that are clearly happy but iv see a few nervous dogs that clearly are not happy to be here.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yep, I see them on telly too and I hate to think of all the people who are more focused on how their dog looks & performs in the show ring than how their dog feels about it.

Pekinese.... uuuurgh, it's time they started rolling back the decades on that breed. And pugs. I've seen a couple of jugs - JRT x pug - recently and they seem to have all the character (and probably more given the JRT influence) and charm without the malformed face.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I've seen lots of Jugs recently too, but they all seem to have a protruding bottom jaw that doesn't sit right.

@Shalista Great to see Bax enjoying himself, maybe this will be a whole new chapter for him. :)
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Mom sent me the link to this article it's interesting https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... s-14390999

What are your thoughts?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I think owners need to stop taking criticisms on the health of their dogs as a personal insult. The RSPCA didn't make up the health issues. Merlin has a dodgy knee, I'm not insulted to know that, and I'm not going to be insulted by someone telling me he shouldn't breed (can't now anyway, hah!) to prevent said dodgy knee being passed onto his puppies.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I agree they should not be insulted but at the same time I think the need to put there own priorities in order first I say this as if known of friends who have reported cruelty and no one ever came out, I know my aunties neighbor dog was beaten everyday and tied up outside so she phoned the RSPCA hundreds of time but no one ever came out and she wasted a lot of time by trusting the RSPCA and then when the dog warden came out the dog had already died, everytime she phoned the RSPCA they just said there inspectors were to busy with more important cases , so a dog being left tied up with no food or shelter and being beaten everyday visit not as important :evil: , So not a fan of the RSPCA.

I'll be watching best in show later today :D still team Scottie.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I have alot of time for the RSPCA myself. They are a charity, after all, and are dealing with animal cruelty up and down the UK. Not just with pets, but with livestock, hunting, races and allsorts. Can't imagine how awful the UK would be without them for animals.

I am also of the belief that breeding dogs with severe genetic deformities knowingly (brachy breeds, short legged breeds etc:) is tantimount to cruelty, so I have no issue with them highlighting that too. So many Dachsunds are left paralysed, Pugs can't breath, Bulldogs can barely move, Cavaliers suffer horrific brain issues, Corgis run the risk of obesity and DM. All it takes is for someone to look at the breed and put health over the extremes of the show world for the suffering to end. A Corgi with healthier legs would still be a beautifully lovely tempered dog, and it would still be a Corgi in every other way. Watching the best of breed Corgis waddle out made me sad, their bellies were almost scraping the floor.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It must be so easy to get defensive about your breed if you've been involved in it, and breeding, for ages - cognitive dissonance will play a huge part. It's like thinking your own baby is the most beautiful baby ever born. It takes courage to stand back and look at what you've 'created' and see it objectively.

But no one wins if breed clubs do close ranks. The first step would be to ask an independent expert (how you find one is another matter) to look at corgi health, interactions with other dogs and so on to assess the claims of the RSPCA. But then again, how on earth can anyone look at a Pekinese who can't walk for more than a couple of hundred yards without collapsing and say that the breeding is in the interests of the dog? Ditto brachy breeds, and any breeds where chracteristics such as long ears and short legs have been exaggerated because if long ears and short legs are good/cute, then longer ears and shorter legs have to be better/cuter. There is nothing natural about being able to trip over your own ears (obviously I'm not thinking of Pekes here, I've moved on to Bassets).

There's a lot wrong in the RSPCA, but I don't think that should let us ignore the bits they're doing well and the changes for the better they want to encourage.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I'm not meaning to slate the RSPCA I agree with everything they have said about corgis as they are not healthy and I don't think I would ever come to crufts again as there are so many dogs here that are nervous and to see pugs collapsing because of how hot it is in here puts me off but the RSPCA are only going to make people very angry by saying these things and I feel they need to use there resources better by trying to maybe get more fundraisers so they can train more inspectors I feel the dog that died because there was no inspectors to come out means they need more inspectors so I feel instead of making people angry on twitter they could be making the lipoic aware that dogs\animals are dieing ect because they don't have enough resources. And it's only the KC and breed clubs who can change or improve these breeds .
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So really if short legs is what makes a corgi.... what makes a breed a breed? like rat terriers are well known to be just a mix of like 6 dif breeds randomly thrown together to make them good ratters.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think it's a lot to do with breeding true, isn't it? So if, when you mated cockerpoos the pups all looked like cockerpoos and you didn't have one that looks like a cocker spaniel, one that looks like a poodle, and two that look like cocoerpoos, you could start thinking about getting it recognised as a breed.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but it might well be even more to do with paperwork than it is to do with breeding...

Still breed related... I've mentioned a few times a Yorkie I had when I was a child, Honey. We bred three litters from her, just because it was fun (it was a long time ago :oops: ). Anyway, I did a bit of hunting the other day. See the newspaper clipping that's the first result here and also should appear larger just below? https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... SXTtTkYBYM:

Rob Roy, on the bottom left, was the father of the pups. The first time, when I was 13, my dad and I took Honey to her 'liaison', and I remember distinctly nearly dying of embarrassment sitting next to my dad on the sofa as she and Rob Roy did their stuff :oops: She was rather chunky for a Yorkie, which is probably why the breeder (the same who owned Rob Roy) had picked her out for us (sort of the opposite of the runt in the litter :lol: ), and Rob Roy had to stand on a cushion :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Don't know if any of you saw it but there was a pitch invasion during best in show from were I was sat it looked like he was running towards the whippet but then my sister said he could of been trying to nick the trophy. What idiots we have in society , well done to tease the whippet :D loved how her own grabbed her and ran when the invader ran on.