What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Lotsaquestions »

So I got home! But not before taking Barkyface one last time to the beach. We couldn't make Brancaster in the end, as OH was tired and he was driving, so settled for the marsh / beach near the cottage. Merlin still believes he can jump high enough to catch flying birds.

I'll make a thread in the photo forum if anyone wants to see some of my fav pics, don't want to flood this chat. I'll pop a piccy of me and the menace here at the marsh / beach. Absolutely LOVED the holiday, but for all the beaches it was the country walk I enjoyed the best (the 7 hour coastal path!). I'm a Lake District lover at heart. Think we're heading to Snowdonia next time so I'll sneak in as many hikes as possible. :lol:
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

def make a thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, we need all the photos you've got! :D

I went youth hosteling on the Lake District with a (very fit) friend when I was young. I thought all those lakes would mean we could walk round the banks and have nice level walks. Oh silly me....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Will make the thread either later tonight or tomorrow, we're both knackered! Need to pick out the best photos otherwise you'd have 1000 photos to look through. :lol:

Lake District is just a marvel, I would live there in a heartbeat. But my OH is a bit more social and city loving for us to take the plunge. When we win the lottery ( :roll: ) we'll buy a holiday home up there and I'll either die of exhaustion or became the fittest German Spitz owner the world has ever seen! Hah!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Looking forward to the photos, and I think you & Merlin did really well!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Ultimate test of Merlin's guarding was had today, and I think he did really well. He was walking around the reserve with Marley the Golden Retriever. The pair of them are so at ease in each other's company it really is lovely, and they often just potter around and investigate things together. Merlin found an entire frozen beef burger... And Marley came over to see what he had.

All Merlin did was turn his head and walk away, and Marley (who is just really nice tempered) walked off. No growling (which I would have expected as normal dog communication), and no overreaction at all! We're talking a food so highly prized (found AND meat) that he won't let me have it still despite letting me move raw duck necks whilst he's eating it. Very proud of him. :D
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Sampson and Lara and I went to pets at home today and met a lovely saluki pup Sampson just said hello and then wanted to move on but Lara went straight into play bow and got very excited , she's obsessed with puppies she just gets so excited when she meets one. Saluki pup wanted to play to but it's not the best place to play in pets at home.

Then we went for a nice walk on the way home.

They say you learn something everyday and today I learnt you can have an ultrasound just for a cyst I have never heard of that before but my sister has a cyst and she being sent for an ultrasound to check it, last time she had one she developed sepsis. Anyone else ever heard of that?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I had an ultrasound on my boob when my last mammogram showed a suspicious lump. The doctor told me on the evidence of the ultrasound that she was 99.9% sure it was a cyst. She still did a biopsy to confirm it - with the biggest needle I've ever seen my life but I'd been crapping myself with fear at what they might find so really the needle was the least of my worries :lol:

I'm with Lara on the saluki pup - I'd have been down there in the aisles playing with her and I might even have kidnapped her.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Just goes to show you learn something new everyday , I never would have thought they would do an ultrasound after seeing a lump on your mammogram Judy

There's definitely something special about sighthounds in general as even Sampson is a true gentleman with all sighthounds it doesn't matter if it's a whippet, greyhound or saluki, he says hello to every sighthound we meet were most other breeds he can take em or leave em attitude, were Lara goes all childish and excited,
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Maybe it's because sighthounds tend to have a natural reserve - often they're really not interested in meeting the other dog (unless it's another sighthound) but if they do want to say hello, it tends to be more 'Pleased to meet you' and a polite handshake than 'Ow wow, you're already my best friend EVER', a big hug and a smacker on each cheek :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Maybe your onto something Judy, I know Sampson gets annoyed by labradors beacuse of how they run up want to play, lick him, and they often bulldoze into him were Lara always hides behind me if a rather rambunctious Labrador comes running :lol: . Maybe they both love that sighthounds are like you said more reserved , I think with Sampson he respects that in them.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ugh had bax meet my neighbor (kirbys mom) for a possible baby sitting this weekend and he barked and cowered from her. lovely bax, you're a real charmer :? :?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Had he met her before, Shalista? Was he fine with her before?

I was walking along the footpath across the heath near the golf course this morning with J on lead, and noticed his ears prick up. I glanced ahead, saw a magpie in the middle of the path and thought nothing of it - he's not interested in birds. But a moment later he was even more geed up so I looked again - and saw a deer standing right in the middle of the path looking at us :shock:

So I stopped (obviously :mrgreen: ) and waited - J wasn't going to respond to a suggestion that we go in the opposite direction and if I tried to drag him he could react out of frustration. We stayed stopped for quite a while, because the deer decided that freezing was the best option, in the hope that J hadn't quite decided what it was. I faced in the opposite direction as that conveys to J what I'd like him to do and occasionally said 'Not today', 'Not for you,' 'This way now' or 'WhathaveIgot?' Eventually 'WhathaveIgot?' got a response and luckily I had some really high value treats on me (Meatlove: http://www.meat.love/en/dogs/the-wet/me ... range.html). The deer finally disappeared and It took a while of him taking a treat, walking a couple of yards and then stopping to stare at where it had been, but eventually he was happy to forget about/give up on the deer and head back for home. So an exciting morning, if not as exciting as he'd have liked it to be, but no tantrums :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Jasper playing it cool! I don't think Merlin would have, and he's not even bred to chase things.

Although I did accidently do some punishment on Merlin the other day, feel so guilty about it. We saw a cat, I pulled Merlin back the same moment he lunged forward, so he ended up getting lead checked. I mean, it did work, but he was quite shocked about it. He sat down immediately and looked at me really sorry for himself. I gave him a treat for stopping, got him away from the cat, and just apologised and gave him a cuddle. By then he'd moved on though and didn't want me fussing all over him. :lol:

About that high value treat, is it just a sausage you cut up? Always on the lookout for good treats.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

If it was a cat J saw, LoQ, I suspect tantrums might have been involved :wink: It'll be interesting to see how Merlin reacts next time he sees a cat - whether he's more grumpy because he was upset last time or whether he just turns to you for his treat and cuddle.

It's sort of a firmish pate consistency. I found it at a dog event with various stalls, but haven't found a place I can buy it with sensible postage costs. I cut it up into treat-sized pieces, bagged it up in ziplock bags and bunged them in the freezer, so I can just grab a bag when I'm heading out and chances are it'll have thawed by the time I want to give him some. I might have a hunt around because it'd be good to try some different flavours.