Favorite Dog Names

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OnceInAWeil

Favorite Dog Names

Post by OnceInAWeil »

What names do you love for dogs? Obviously we all like the names we've chosen for our current dogs, but what would you name a future dog? Any names you think go particularly well with a certain breed?

My lists are in no particular order.

For girls, I like:

Shasta (I think this would go particularly well with lithe breeds like BCs and sighthoundy things)
Fay
Kimber
Rory (I know this is traditionally a masculine name but I LOVE it for a girl)
Evie
Furia (latin for hell hound)
Veda
Frightful (probably not one a superstitious person would use, but it's the peregrine falcon's name in My Side of the Mountain, which was my favorite book as a kid, and I love how it sounds as a name).
Lisbeth
Storm/Stormy
Pepper
Piper
Scout
Zoey (yes, I love human names for dogs)

For boys:
Atticus
Cody
Brody
Rory
Diogi (D-O-G :lol: ; think this would be cute for a mystery mutt)
Jasper
Henry
Winston (I imagine a 10-year-old GR...awwww)
Jake
Frightful again.
gwd

Re: Favorite Dog Names

Post by gwd »

OnceInAWeil wrote:What names do you love for dogs? Obviously we all like the names we've chosen for our current dogs, but what would you name a future dog? Any names you think go particularly well with a certain breed?
OH and i have always held veto power on any proposed name. you don't even need to explain WHY you don't want the name. ......'just because' is reason enough.

as for your names, there is one i'd reject depending on the breed. for example, kimber for a rottie or dobie i'd never do! there is a kennel that breeds a TON of pet quality rotties and dobies (i suspect puppymill based on the fact they ALWAYS have puppies). they also have the reputation of having crappy temperaments.

i've had or mil had: candy, gina, holly, thor, jackie, katie, maggie, rufus, roscoe, zoey, howdy boy, murphy, cody, amy, sissy, mariah, belle, roxie, dottie, gypsy, dusty, sammie, kilo (weighed 2.2 lbs at birth, a singlton puppy) we registered his name as "sunburst smugglers blues" after the song.

i considered naming baby girl 'flirt' but that didn't suit her.......so she became zoey.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I did a topic like this a while back, and my list has grown to staggeringly, stupidly large proportions since then. :oops: Still, I'll share...

Backup (pit bull or similar, named after the dog in Veronica Mars)
Catfish
Ramble
Gallifrey (something red)
Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petrichor
Fez (something happy and excitable)
Saxon
Moldau
Aithusa (good for a mellow, dignified dog)
Merlin
Becquerel (black GSD or similar shape would be ideal for this name)
Snowman (female black dog, something elegant like a dobe - I'd say sighthound but I don't know if I'm a sighthound person. They're gorgeous and I love them, but I'm not sure our personalities would mesh!)
Semaphore
PM
WQ
AR (something feisty)
WV (for not the brightest crayon in the box)
tumut
Abel
Canton
Altair
Ezio
Malik
La Volpe
Yusuf (rugged, happy dog)
Rachni
Glyph (small but quiet and intelligent)
Grunt (rough-and-tumble dog)
Wrex (rough-and-tumble dog)
Garrus (if I had to choose another name for Ami from this list, this'd be it)
Tali
EDI
Urdnot (rough-and-tumble dog)
Thane
Krios
Alenko
Rannoch
Legion
Eezo
Eidolon
Mirach (from here down are star names)
Dziban
Tarazed
Almach
Alpheratz
Giauzar

Almost all of these are from a movie, TV show, or video game. :oops: I really enjoy unusual names. I doubt I'll use all of them, but they're there for me when I need them. ;)

I love the idea of Rory for a girl. :D Diogi sounds like an awesome name too.

I love Kilo, Howdy Boy, and Flirt from your list, gwd!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
gwd

Post by gwd »

Erica wrote:I love Kilo, Howdy Boy, and Flirt from your list, gwd!
howdy boy got his name because we'd hoped to keep a male from that particular breeding........after 5 girls popped out, the last puppy had a wee wee! my late father in law said, 'boy howdy, we finally got a male! ......he was howdy boy from the time he was wet!

the same thing happened with sissy. we were hoping for a b*tch......6 males!!! SIX and most of them were very dark (not ideal in the show ring) the last puppy was a beautifully marked tri girl. my mil said, the boys now have a little sis! sissy she stayed.

in both of those cases we had wanted a particular sex but of course they had to also be of the quality we were looking for.......both easily finished their championship.

kilo ended up not being shown but what else would you name a 2.2 lb puppy!?!?! ....he had to be delivered c-section. singleton puppies often get too large.
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

gwd wrote: OH and i have always held veto power on any proposed name. you don't even need to explain WHY you don't want the name. ......'just because' is reason enough.

as for your names, there is one i'd reject depending on the breed. for example, kimber for a rottie or dobie i'd never do! there is a kennel that breeds a TON of pet quality rotties and dobies (i suspect puppymill based on the fact they ALWAYS have puppies). they also have the reputation of having crappy temperaments.

i've had or mil had: candy, gina, holly, thor, jackie, katie, maggie, rufus, roscoe, zoey, howdy boy, murphy, cody, amy, sissy, mariah, belle, roxie, dottie, gypsy, dusty, sammie, kilo (weighed 2.2 lbs at birth, a singlton puppy) we registered his name as "sunburst smugglers blues" after the song.

i considered naming baby girl 'flirt' but that didn't suit her.......so she became zoey.
I think that's a good rule, and I wish I'd used it! My BF at the time I got Antonio insisted on having a say on the name because he would be helping me watch him while I was at class. Antonio was the first name neither of us shot down immediately. I'm actually not super fond of it, but I don't like changing a dog's name after it's been a while.

I know which kennels you're talking about. Love your names Cody, Jackie, Howdy Boy, and Kilo. We had a Maggie who was very sweet.
I also think Sunburst would be a cool name. And unisex! :D

Erica,
I really like Eezo, Abel, Eleven and Glyph. Especially Abel. :D
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

OnceInAWeil wrote:Frightful (probably not one a superstitious person would use, but it's the peregrine falcon's name in My Side of the Mountain, which was my favorite book as a kid, and I love how it sounds as a name).
Oh OIAW I LOVED this book too and I've never met anyone else who's read it :D (or even heard of it) . I must've read it once a month for years when I was a kid (that and For love of a Horse). I have them both wrapped up and stored but you've made me want to read it again.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Herman's Human

Post by Herman's Human »

Herman had been "Hammer" before he adopted us. I liked "The Munsters" television show and I thought Herman Munster was a sweet guy but was misunderstood because of his "scary" appearance. "Herman" seemed like a perfect fit. :mrgreen:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I can't say, I have any dog names in mind in the future. There is a Norwegian Buhund Breeder who seems to name the dogs trollish names. I think my favorite is Something (I forget the whole name) Trollheims, Kiss my Cash. There are others in this line that I also think are great too, I just can't think of amy of them at the moment. This line seems to do very well in the show ring too.

I loved "My Side of the Mountain" too. I used to think it would be so awsome to live like that. I think my most favorite book of all though was, "Run Wild, Run Free." In fact, I have a son named after one of the characters in the book.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Thing about a name is that it needs to be something you don't feel bashful about when bawling it out somewhere in the wilderness where bunnies and squirrels abound. I like the simplicity of names for working dogs, especially collies. It's usually one syllable like Bess, Moll, Tib, or Bell, Jack, or Bute or something like.

The other thing sometimes is to have a 'draft' name for a puppy, but wait until you see the character develop before picking a name that really fits. There are lots of names in books that have connotations. Pippin is named after Peregrine Took from the Lord of the Rings; a small but feisty battler (Hobbit) with an innocent nose for trouble and who is curious about holes in the ground.

Before Pip came along, I did have plans for a second Ridgeback I'd perhaps call Thor, but I thought that might be a bit lame.

I also liked the dogs names for the two Great Danes in the Patriot film, Mars and Jupiter.
Herman's Human

Post by Herman's Human »

Flyby wrote:
The other thing sometimes is to have a 'draft' name for a puppy, but wait until you see the character develop before picking a name that really fits. There are lots of names in books that have connotations
Good approach. :mrgreen:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

When we made the decision to get a puppy, I had always said that my next dog's name would be Layla..so Neo SHOULD have been Layla, but I was overruled by OH who insisted she have an African name, being that she was an African Lion Hound :roll: . So after a quick google search we decided on Neo. Cat started out life as "Mickey" but now is only called Dude.

Working at a vet clinic for a few years turned me off to a lot of more common names: Baby, Molly, Zoe, Buddy Precious..even Abby is too "mainstream" for me, but that's how she came.

I think so much depends on what you like to do/movies you like/books you like/athletes or sports you enjoy, etc. I think one has to consider what a name sounds like when it's being called at the park, or wherever..at our old dog park there was someone who when they called their dog whose name was Nibbler, I would have sworn she was calling "Hitler".

For girls I like:
Dixie
Sunshine (Sunny)
Daisy
Macy
Dallys (Dallas)
Carolina
Scout
Tess

For boys:
Bruce Lee
Cayman
Atreyu (Neverending Story, anyone? :) )
Hawkeye
Jameson

PS I've read "My Side of the Mountain" too :)
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

One of Ari's CH/GCH/BIS/etc relatives is Great Gatsby.... I wish we had it in us to steal his name :lol:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Ari_RR wrote:One of Ari's CH/GCH/BIS/etc relatives is Great Gatsby.... I wish we had it in us to steal his name :lol:
Love this!
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

I once met a very cute black/white BC mix named Tesla. Thought that was a neat name.

Yay for all of the My Side of the Mountain fans! :D I want to read it again, now, too.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Ari_RR wrote:One of Ari's CH/GCH/BIS/etc relatives is Great Gatsby.... I wish we had it in us to steal his name :lol:
back in the day, we use to provide all new puppy owners with a 5 generation pedigree that i did in calligraphy. champions in red, non champions in black.........and the names, omg, some of them are very, VERY log. i dreaded long names. obviously there are now pedigree programs where you can print them out so it's just a question of typing, however, i still seem to stick with my tradition of using one word names.

boy dog is 'the breeders kennel name intrigue' and baby girl is 'kennel name alibi' .......i kinda went theme with their names as their moms name is 'kennel name it's a mystri' ......the spelling intentional that way becasue she happend to be a tri.