My dog attacks

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

elsam

My dog attacks

Post by elsam »

I have 3 dogs and the youngest one attacks the other 2. I was told when the 2 show anything that is taken as weakness she will attack them. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior? I hate to do it, but I have to smack her to make her let loose.
The last 2 times my Kelsie went to jump on the couch and slipped, then Abbie went after her. Today i was trimming Kelsie's nails and had one more left to do. I tried to bring her to me and she yelped, and thats when Abbie attacked her again. She has gone after my other dog.
It stresses me out so much as I have to get rough with her because she latches on.
Abbie is the youngest and newest member of the family. They are all girls.
If you need more information, please let me know. I can't keep breaking up fights.
Please help. thank you

Lori
Erica

Re: My dog attacks

Post by Erica »

For now, try to keep them separate...until someone who knows more about this can come and give advice, could you post more about your dogs? Ages, breeds (or best guess if they're mixes), histories (if you know them) and their daily schedule (how much food, what kind, when they're exercised, when and how they're trained) are a good start...the more detail the better. Have they been for a thorough vet check recently? Not just a once-over, but bloodwork, etc...there may be an underlying medical issue.

I will warn you that from what I've heard from reliable sources, once female dogs decide they don't like each other, they typically don't stop....

Edit: And you'll probably get more help if you post in the training advice subforum.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
elsam

Re: My dog attacks

Post by elsam »

Thanks Erica. Will post in training section. and add more info on the dogs.