Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: Vent!

Post by Shalista »

I want to cry, my cousin just got an adorable brindle puppy. She's gushing endlessly about what a sweet, calm, mild, wonderful puppy it is. And all the fb pictures of her and her kids walking it? it's wearing a prong collar.

I mean really? You haven't even had it a week, it's a puppy, and you think THAT's the right course of action? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :evil: :evil: :evil:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's awful, Shalista :( Is it something you could discuss with her? You could also point her to this forum.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I would but.. tbh with them I'm not terribly surprised? i don' think there's anything i could say :(
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

In a small retail park near my new place, some idiot owner looking to give banned breeds an even worse name was standing with a hugely powerful bully breed I couldn't even properly identify. A mastiff/pit bull/American Bulldog type mix, with a solid mastiff like head, bulging muscles and about the height of a ridgeback. Why is this guy an idiot? Because this very powerful, naturally, entire, male dog was wearing nothing but a rope looped around his neck as a collar and trailing off as a lead. Idiot was using his friend's panel van as a screen to block his dog's view, and telling a passerby not to let his dog see the passerby's own dog, as he'd kill it (in a proud, bragging voice). All while kids were running around and playing on bikes not yards away from him.

I'm repairing some fencing before Pixie over to live in my new place, but we'll be giving that area a very wide berth when walking when she does arrive. I hate thugs like these who think of a living creature as a status symbol, and don't know what they need to do for the animal's and people's safety. That dog and his owner are a disaster waiting to happen, and all I can do is avoid it if I possibly can. :( :twisted: :evil:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Some of you may remember a few months ago I was walking my dogs and had to step in and sort out a situation where one person's offlead dog attacked a frail old on=lead dog and would have killed it.

A few weeks later the old dog died. He had never really recovered from the shock, and obviously there were underlying issues with his health anyway, which was probably behind the young dog's attack. (Explains it but doesn't justify it).

Owner of old dog now feels ready for another dog. This morning she told me happily how she was getting two puppies from the same litter. Two female puppies. :roll:

I spoke, but I'm not sure if she listened.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:I spoke, but I'm not sure if she listened.
It's so hard to know when your suggestions are going to be listened to, or whether you'll be seen as interfering, isn't it? I met someone with a lovely bouncy young bull lurcher the other day (I went home with mud on my face :lol: ) who was wearing the sort of muzzle that keeps the mouth closed, as he chased small fluffy dogs as well as rabbits and deer. I suggested they consider a muzzle like Jasper's, and pointed out that if he took off after a deer in his muzzle he could, quite literally, drop down dead. Maybe they just saw me as a judgemental scaremongerer - but I couldn't just say nothing.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

:x Stupid woman in the woods whose setter has no recall.... She moans about him all the time, but when I suggest she actually trains recall seems clueless. She's had setters for 40 years and never had this with any before. Just possibly because he's a rescue whose previous owner barely ever let him out of the crate, and often beat him? I suggested she got a behaviourist, as she might actually listen to one.

Then she mentioned the poor timid rescue lurcher that she only had for a week or so and also took off, because she was terrified of all the people she let come up and make a fuss of her. 'That Bella,' she said, 'She was no good either' :shock:

'There was nothing wrong with Bella', I replied. I might have sounded just a little accusatory, but I don't suppose she noticed :?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Ugh I'm done. Just done. Ki has peed so often on my pillow I had to throw it out. Every time he's down he's peed on something, sometimes just the wall, sometimes my bag. He is officially excluded from my room and I'm shutting the door. This left me with the choice of banishing Bax from his own room to hang out with his cousin, or confine him to quarters for the duration of Ki's visit downstairs. I confined Bax. He keeps looking at me like he's wondering what he did wrong with lots of whining, lip licks, and his ears back but i think it's for the best. i refuse to have all my stuff peed on. :evil:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Dog behaviour proverb:

"A closed door gathers no pee".

But having been here for so long - at least you know why Ki does it :lol: Poor Bax - how upsetting for him to have to smell that. Can you get a new pillow?

Shalista

Post by Shalista »

"A closed door gathers no pee".
I laughed :lol:

And yeah i got a new pillow. I think the main damage has been to poor bax living in a room smelling of another dogs pee. I think in my mad attempt at preserving family peace i put that above bax's well-being. Oh well, it's done.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Why is muzzle shopping so hard!?

I know she's not exactly the easiest face to fit but I mean come on, I'm a paying customer here at least pretend to read my email before going "just measure what we ask in the measuring guide". My issue with your measuring guide is it wants a snout length, snout width and snout height... None of which exist on my dog!!! I attached pictures even showing this so the generic, "oh just start my sending us the measurements" isn't going to work because I have no idea what you expect me to measure. It took 3 emails to get this point across! Then, still with no numerical data, I get " we can try this one we make for shih tzus", MiMi is significantly smaller than a shih tzu and you've stated I need to pay all costs if it doesn't fit, maybe try at least giving me a neck measurement to guess if it has any chance of fitting :evil: The most helpful company can only offer a Hannibal Lecter style face cage which we're not keen on.

Surely she's not the only peke out there needing a muzzle. At least one of the companies I have contacted have braccy dog style muzzles on their website but they all still have a snout of some description
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm guessing you need something in which she can open her mouth to pant? Though thinking about it - with a short snout, does that mean her mouth doesn't open very wide anyway? A google search brought up this: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pekin ... cHhWQ8M%3A
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Definitely needs to be able to open her mouth, it's very unusual it isn't open when she's out and about actually! That one is better than the one of similar design I saw - my version wasn't mesh so the poor dog couldn't see!! I think something in a traditional format would be possible if I could find someone within range could actually see her and design something but I've not yet found anyone and clearly pictures and a description isn't getting us very far!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I was wondering if a local groomer might be able to help - would they keep their own supply of muzzles? But then they wouldn't necessarily be worried about the dog being able to pant :?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It doesn't matter if the muzzle is longer than her face, though, does it? As long as the on-the-face bit lets her open her mouth and doesn't rub her. Might that give you some flexibility?

I am so sorry you are having hassle from people who are supposed to be helpful. Maybe you should go to the organ-grinder rather than the monkey, and write to the managing director.